First Look Friday: Scott Spark; Volvo Bike Rack; MRP Ramp Control Cartridge

Nick

Those Volvo racks are nice! Made by Thule, just branded as Volvo (some of them you can see the Thule sticker scratched out with a magic marker), and a lot cheaper

one question are the Hubs on that Scott ( Shimano HB-M618-B CL / 15x110mm )  is that a Cup&Cone system or sealed bearing ??

one question are the Hubs on that Scott ( Shimano HB-M618-B CL / 15x110mm )  is that a Cup&Cone system or sealed bearing ??

Cup and cone. Do Shimano even make cartridge bearing hubs? Wonder what tyre size one can squeeze in there? +-size anyone?

The Volvo rack is made by Thule and that is the same as the Velocompact that Thule sell for 8k.Got mine from them 2 weeks ago and took it to Thule and they say it's actually better then the one they sell because those lights look a lot better. Make sure to get the adapter plug when ordering with it,the price on that plug is crazy at R500. Found the same plug from a trailer place for R140 so Thule and Volvo are taking the piss with us.

:thumbdown:  why on a nearly 50k bike do they not have a sealed bearing system. 

Shimano have never made a sealed bearing hub. So your 200k bikes rolling on Dura-Ace wheels are still cup and cone.

These Volvo racks are Thule Velocompact racks. There is even Thule branding on it. Got one a couple weeks ago, and works like a charm - besides from branding and shape of lights they are identical to Thule VeloCompact.

The Volvo rack is made by Thule and that is the same as the Velocompact that Thule sell for 8k.Got mine from them 2 weeks ago and took it to Thule and they say it's actually better then the one they sell because those lights look a lot better. Make sure to get the adapter plug when ordering with it,the price on that plug is crazy at R500. Found the same plug from a trailer place for R140 so Thule and Volvo are taking the piss with us.

Same story with the branded stuff they make for other manufacturers

Silverback Sido1 can be bought for under R30k and is 1kg lighter  That`s R16k less for 1kg less.

Edit: I see it has the Fox 34 and a dropper post adding weight, but still I think its too much money for too much weight for a xc racing bike.

Silverback Sido1 can be bought for under R30k and is 1kg lighter  That`s R16k less for 1kg less.

Edit: I see it has the Fox 34 and a dropper post adding weight, but still I think its too much money for too much weight for a xc racing bike.

ya but the Sido is an XC bike ..whereas the scott is more Trail ...slacker head angle..dropper post etc

:thumbdown:  why on a nearly 50k bike do they not have a sealed bearing system. 

I know but one thing with cup and cone hubs are that if you just give them a little attention now and then they Will last forever,But yeah I also prefer cartridge.

Don't however feel shimano will ever change.

must say i was riding with a friend on Sunday who has the exact bike tested here and it is very nice in the flesh...Ticks all the boxes for a do it all machine. i think if you ditched the wheels for for some Wide lightning's or the like then it would be smoking