West Coast Express Cancelled!

Outriders Press Office

The Outriders Cycling Club, organisers of the popular West Coast Express taking place this Sunday, 16 October 2016, have issued a notice cancelling the event.

“It is with huge regret and sadness, we have to announce the cancellation of The West Coast express Funride this Sunday. Provincial Traffic and their appointed contractors working on the R27 have retracted permission to use the route due to roadworks in the interests of cyclists’ safety.

This late notice comes as a complete surprise and the cancellation was only triggered as a result of the race’s organising committee meeting with the contractors to request assistance in making the road as wide and safe as possible. This discussion about safety and the road use at the event, gave cause for the contractor to initiate cancellation proceedings late on Thursday 13th October.

We cannot apologise enough and assure you every last avenue was looked at, officials called and spoken to, and options considered.

Entrants will be refunded by Racetec directly and any late entries or EFT payments to the Outriders will be refunded by the club. Please let as many fellow cyclists know as you can.”

low blow from the contractors - can only imagine how much work & money had gone into setting up this event.

No chance of moving it to another date?

low blow from the contractors - can only imagine how much work & money had gone into setting up this event.

No chance of moving it to another date?

We're hoping so - but no guarantees, so consider it cancelled for now and keep an eye out here for a new possible date.

We're hoping so - but no guarantees, so consider it cancelled for now and keep an eye out here for a new possible date.

This really sucks. Holding thumbs that you guys can make a plan!

Jeez, heart goes out to all those involved in putting on this great event. It's been a highlight for me since racing here. It must be  a blow to so many people who have worked so hard for this to happen and come together. Shame guys. I'm disappointed and i was just riding the thing! 

What a nightmare for an already very shallow pool of road events.

Province wants to attract cyclo tourists then allows this sort of thing to happen to one of the few events planned.

this isn't happening to tourists (maybe a couple) just to us locals :(

"this city Province works for you " T & C's may apply. (fixed)

Edited by bikebloke

this isn't happening to tourists (maybe a couple) just to us locals :(

"this city works for you " T & C's may apply.

Province traffic. Not City traffic.

Edit: City traffic apparently shut down all city events years ago if those who have overseen the decimation of southern suburbs events are to be believed. Personally I think they just don't give a damn and put the traffic decision in the "far too hard basket that will mean I have to do some work negotiating with traffic" basket.

Edited by carbon29er

I also get the feeling that the traffic authorities have become a spoke in the wheel over the past decade. I don't quite know why this is so. I think there could be various contributing factors.

Extra work on Sundays not popular?

Overtime pay not lucrative enough?

Too much paperwork?

Easier to just say no?

Wonder why the late notification?

From prov traffic, I guess?

2 days before the event

Snaaks ????????

Edited by 'Dale

Wonder why the late notification?

From prov traffic, I guess?

2 days before the event

Snaaks

Was nothing todo with traffic department .... lets just leave it at that.