Pioneer Tombeej

ScottCM

We passed them on the road just after water point 1, climbing one of the small drags before the turn towards Cato Ridge.

Anyone know how they fair on the downhills?

They have to keep pedaling downhill, feathering the brake to keep their cadence within acceptable levels.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tombeej

much respect dude !

And I really like how this ride is almost taking on cult like status. Almost like I need to catch a plane up and do it next year. Maybe we need a holiday in Durbs :)

Ride to Durban from gauteng then amashova ,doing 2 laps of amashova ,riding a 32 wheel fixie in the shove...

Makes most of of feel pretty ordinary. Kudo's to all of you pioneers & hardcore cyclists .

I salute you ????????????????

Edited by Pikey

Hi guys

Scott, buddy, I'm going to have to give you a klap next time I see you!

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

But to be honest, it was a personal thing, not for any recognition (a little embarrassed by this thread :blush:).

I'm drawn to 'inspiring' rides - ones that capture my imagination and this was one of those. It was just a random thought that came to me on a random ride one day and then wouldn't leave me alone. So I just decided to give it a bash. I had no intention of telling anyone about it really; it was just another ride.

I never thought it was super special - I've seen much more impressive stuff done by many others here on the Hub. And a DC is not really a massive distance in itself.

Having said that, I have to admit that it did turn out to be a special ride; one of my most memorable ones. It was an awesome experience. The ride through the night to PMB was beautiful under a massive full moon. Just me alone with my thoughts in the great outdoors - wonderful solitude. And then the ride back was completely opposite: sharing the road with thousands of my fellow riders. No more solitude, more speed, more fun, new friends. Two very contrasting halves of my favourite DC so far.

Might just do it again next year ;)

Well done Tom, I doff my hat Sir.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Ride to Durban from gauteng then amashova ,doing 2 laps of amashova ,riding a 32 wheel fixie in the shiva.

Makes most of of feel pretty ordinary. Kudo's to all of you pioneers & hardcore cyclists .

I salute you [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

We had 25 cyclists and 3 backup drivers

Age of Cyclists

47 - average age

67 - oldest cyclist

28 - youngest cyclist

Gender split

22 - males

3 - females

Age category

3 - in their 20's

3 - in their 30's

10 - in their 40's

4 - in their 50's

8 - in their 60's

Numbers per group (ave age per group)

10 - Fast (41)

9 - Medium (39)

6 - Slow (49)

Only one 60+ got into the car, due to lack of training over the last few months. The oldest and youngest ride together.

It proves one is never too old to try a 4-day tour.

Edited by geraldm24

Hi guys

But to be honest, it was a personal thing, not for any recognition (a little embarrassed by this thread :blush:).

I'm drawn to 'inspiring' rides - ones that capture my imagination and this was one of those. It was just a random thought that came to me on a random ride one day and then wouldn't leave me alone. So I just decided to give it a bash. I had no intention of telling anyone about it really; it was just another ride.

I never thought it was super special - I've seen much more impressive stuff done by many others here on the Hub. And a DC is not really a massive distance in itself.

Having said that, I have to admit that it did turn out to be a special ride; one of my most memorable ones. It was an awesome experience. The ride through the night to PMB was beautiful under a massive full moon. Just me alone with my thoughts in the great outdoors - wonderful solitude. And then the ride back was completely opposite: sharing the road with thousands of my fellow riders. No more solitude, more speed, more fun, new friends. Two very contrasting halves of my favourite DC so far.

Respect Tombeej! Sounds like you had an amazing Shova weekend!

Did a short mountain bike ride with a mate over the weekend and I have to agree that there's nothing like riding your bike in beautiful surroundings!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Hi guys

Double Post.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Edited by Mntboy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kudos on Shaun and my unicycle ride. It was epic and for a very good cause. We raised R70k for the auSOMEtism NPO that supports and raises awareness of those diagnosed within the autism spectrum.

It has been a very humbling journey for me.

The unicycle is an interesting beast. It took some time to learn and I am slowly getting better every ride. With a fixed, direct gear you have to pedal every stroke of the way. We rode a 36" wheel with 125mm cranks. My average speed was around 16kph with a maximum of 24.7kph.

Cadence ave 98, max 152

HR ave 163, max 185

My proctologist says that with a bit more yoga and some special cream, my saddle should start re-appearing in about a week.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Well done! Definitely not an easy task. :thumbup:

What a superb GIF

????????????

Well done tom' ????????

Tombeej what was it like riding at night on those dark lonely roads with random drivers coming flying out of no where driving at a crazy speed, that didn't spook you at all?

Must have been some awesome stretches of road though.