Hi

I posted this question earlier and am posting here in the q & a space for a little help with my NEXT BIKE purchase ...

Hi, I am Mel and I am looking for a bike ... I am new to this mtb story (3yrs) and get a little overawed by all the brands, slick lines and huge price tickets. Having said that I am trading up from my beloved 'Sabie mt slayer' Sliverback Sola 2 2015 for something ... faster and lighter.

Some basics:

• R30K abso tops price - (bike finance will have to come into it) NO, donate a kidney, price tickets!
  • Year model not a biggie. Happy with 2013/2014/2015 ...
  • I am 176 tall (currently on a Large Merida Big Nine 5000 - just too big sadly - chiro says no!)
  • I ride once a week or twice if I am lucky
  • I enjoy a couple races a year: Ashburton series, Trailseeker Series, Fun Grabadoo and the one time only experience of the Magalies Monster.
  • More control on tricky descents.
  • I have no major bias for a brand but have been looking at the Silverback Storm 1/Merida Big Nine 5000... and a Scott or two, Nino performance wannabe.

Bottom line for all the above:
LIGHT BIKE that climbs like a breeze and doesn't buck me off on the drop-offs - and affordable.
Oh yes ... and pretty! I am a designer and I don't do ugly - I will be looking at her for up to 5 odd hours some days!

All advice welcome

:)

You already know the lingo, so you are already half way there.

The aluminum bikes are just as good as the carbon ones. So are you open to aluminum frames? Cause at R30k you can buy ALOT of bike for that.

I also then assume you have all the other kit ?

AND have a look at this:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/215892-specialized-epic-comp-carbon-large/

EDIT: you might need to wait til morning for the guys in the know to give you some advice.

The two options you have listed are pretty good bikes with decent specs.  I would say maybe a medium would work.  Second hand, from the current classified I would recommend these:

Giant - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/215735-giant-xtc-advanced-carbon/

Merida - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/215027-2014-merida-big-nine-cf5000-carbon/ <- this one is very well specced, should be pretty light actually...

Rocky Mountain - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/212471-rocky-mountain-vertex-970-med/ <- this is the one i'd buy if it was my money, you don't see too many of these on the trails, then use the remaining cash to do a few upgrades...

My 2 cents :)

(PS:  Get the Rocky Mountain)

(PPS:  I have no affiliation whatsoever to the seller of the Rocky Mountain)

:D

Lingo wont get me to the top of the hill sadly ... and yeah 30K is a little tight but there is a bike with my name on it out there - just got to mine the haystack!

Great will go look at those links - thanks!

I actually have the Giant on my list thanks to a little visit to BRC in pta! :rolleyes:

Makes sense, even 2 is better than none.

I have heard that Rock Mountain bikes are great. I might try and get on a few of the different brands to feel the difference - probably prudent before purchase!

Tnx Slowbee and myth125

The two options you have listed are pretty good bikes with decent specs. I would say maybe a medium would work. Second hand, from the current classified I would recommend these:

Giant - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/215735-giant-xtc-advanced-carbon/

Merida - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/215027-2014-merida-big-nine-cf5000-carbon/ <- this one is very well specced, should be pretty light actually...

Rocky Mountain - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/212471-rocky-mountain-vertex-970-med/ <- this is the one i'd buy if it was my money, you don't see too many of these on the trails, then use the remaining cash to do a few upgrades...

My 2 cents :)

(PS: Get the Rocky Mountain)

(PPS: I have no affiliation whatsoever to the seller of the Rocky Mountain)

Get. The. Rocky. Mountain.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

At that price range you have quite a few options. New is always good because of the warranty but there are some really awesome second hand bikes on the hub. If new is your choice don't forget about the Giant Anthem. See link below

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/giant-anthem-x-1-29er-2016

That's actually a super good option at a very low price...won't be as light as the hardtails but will definitely make up for it in more comfort/less fatigue on your long rides.  With a bit of pimping you can get these down to just above 12 kg's.  Not bad for an Alu dual-sus.

That's actually a super good option at a very low price...won't be as light as the hardtails but will definitely make up for it in more comfort/less fatigue on your long rides.  With a bit of pimping you can get these down to just above 12 kg's.  Not bad for an Alu dual-sus.

Those Anthems are awesome bikes.  I have got mine to 11.5 kg's, running 1x11.

I am a bit confused.

Why are you so worried about the weight, if you only do a few race a year? Your introductory post also suggests you have limited time to train. So again, surely a few grams will not really make that much difference?

I am a bit confused.

Why are you so worried about the weight, if you only do a few race a year? Your introductory post also suggests you have limited time to train. So again, surely a few grams will not really make that much difference?

Switching from my Silverback Sola 2 (which I found comfortable and enjoyed riding) to the Merida Big Nine 5000 showed me how massive the weight difference was to my riding experience. I am not physically strong and thus hill climbs like Clarens, Dullies and the little Howick and Karkloof punchy switchbacks drain me quickly resulting in a grumpy tired rider - no one wants to ride with that next to them! This is only my experience - the carbon bike weight just made my riding so much more enjoyable and the climbs are way easier, especially the ones with a few technical bits in them. Hope that helps ...

That Rocky is really nice - I like it a lot.

The Anthem is also a sweet deal, and you get the lifetime frame warranty with it being a new bike - a big plus point.  The 2016 also has a stronger top tube / seat tube join and some internal routing which looks good.  Plus, it's an Anthem - a go anywhere do anything bike with forgiving handling.

A tough choice to make...

sounds like a medium is a better fit for you, and I would recommend something like the Giant Anthem 650B as being a good option.

you note that leg strength is not your strong point, so the 650B would definitely assist in getting the wheels up to speed vs need more raw power required to accelerate a larger 29'er wheel.

Edited by Hairy

Thanks everyone.

Lighthouse, Lucy Lu and I will miss each other but it's time ...

I will def have a look at the Giant and RM.

Amberdrake, the weight difference between the Sola 2 Allu (approx 13 kg) and the Big Nine Carbon (approx 10 kg - less with the 1 x 11) - That weight coupled with the different bike position (merida more aggressive, Sola more upright) made a big difference for me.

Lot to think about. More homework.

Thnx again.

Yea thats reason I asked, Position sometimes does more than weight. 

Also take into account Hardtail Alu can be 10kg odd reasonably easy. 

I would recommend go test ride ! 

Also take the plunge to Full Suspension bicycles with care, They have extra service considerations, with amount you ride I would stick to hardtail. (Love my Full Sus Just wish I had a SS when Service comes around)

If u got a super longs stem on the Merida, pop a shorty on while figuring out where your going with new bicycle :)