[Event] Hollard JUMA

Events Bot

The JUMA doesn't show as a listed event on the CSA website, so that would indicate that it is not sanctioned... or... their application to be included on the calendar hasn't been processed.

So based on the first scenario (non-sanctioned) the answer is "No! You won't need a licence". And they probably won't be obliged to charge a day licence, nor pay over the R6 rider levy.

That said, it means any rider with a FULL RACING LICENCE is not allowed to take part - and I can't see anyone taking part receiving a fine and a suspension.

An event does not have to be sanctioned to fulfill the legislative obligations required by law.

A few rider's raced last year, so there's precedent. And even if the event was sanctioned it's not a UCI event. 

CSA use this nonsense to bully racing licence holders, it's flawed in it's entirety since inception as the "forbidden race rule".

Besides which there isn't even a fully functional provincial body, which is required for the national body to enforce the 'UCI law'

Really hope a rider/group takes on CSA in this regard and gives them a legal thrashing, like PPA did with the Argus.

To date, CSA have not provided a clear and properly satisfactory response. IMO

Hell, last year they pushed a presser with a headline about rider safety and sanctioned events and the actual content said eff all about safety. Just referenced the UCI rule and hyperbole about disciplining riders. 

Coincidently this was just before the JUMA after an apparent fall out between the organisers and CSA's toll collector.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A thousand likes to you, sir.

However, being a messed up Governing Body they may just wait for an opportunity like this to make an example. Plus, leaving one's safety up to this entity has proven to be useless.

Anyhoo, let those that ride decide.

It doesn't bother me, as I am in no way close to "racing" anything, other than my heart rate, in the ladies and bicycles thread.

An event does not have to be sanctioned to fulfill the legislative obligations required by law.

A few rider's raced last year, so there's precedent. And even if the event was sanctioned it's not a UCI event. 

CSA use this nonsense to bully racing licence holders, it's flawed in it's entirety since inception as the "forbidden race rule".

Besides which there isn't even a fully functional provincial body, which is required for the national body to enforce the 'UCI law'

Really hope a rider/group takes on CSA in this regard and gives them a legal thrashing, like PPA did with the Argus.

Hell, last year they pushed a presser with a headline about rider safety and sanctioned events and the actual content said eff all about safety. Just referenced the UCI rule and hyperbole about disciplining riders. 

Coincidently this was just before the JUMA after an apparent fall out between the organisers and CSA's toll collector.

CSA sounding more and more like SARS - they take but nobody can see what's done with the money...

CSA sounding more and more like SARS - they take but nobody can see what's done with the money...

They like to spend it at the lawyers and the airport....

Enjoyed last year. Saw them erecting scaffolding on Jan Smuts, got a wee bit excited.

Are entries still open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I entered for the 54km last night. Will be my first one, doing it with a friend and pretty keen to just have a lekker day out on the bike on this alternative route.

Just entered and ready to roll for my 2nd.  

Just checked my seeding and it is SWAK due to the new "ageing algorithm" (well, that's my excuse).  

Anyway, will be a fun race like last year.

Edited by nonky

This will be a fun ride. Did the 22 last year and entered for the 54 this year. Nose is stuffed with sinus though so this is really gonna be fun. 

BTW: avalanche have 650/680ml water bottles with lids to keep the crap out. I generally use these on NF to keep out the cow crap

54km.  

Taking a light this time - sh@t myself in the long tunnels last year.

... Yep.... i got smacked in the head in one of the low tunnels bit concussed and came around lying in the water and some guys helping me up ....   Can't wait to ride it this year

Edited by Sven137

CONSEQUENCES FOR ALL SPORT

Motorsport South Africa has with concern taken note of the judgment handed down today in the North Gauteng High Court in the dispute between it & World of Motorsport ZA.

In particular the judgment in respect of the constitutionality &/or enforceability of section 1 of the National Sport & Recreation Act appears to be problematical & may likely have unintended & far reaching consequences not only for motorsport, but for all National Federations seized with the administration & control of particular sporting codes.

The typed transcript of the judgment is expected during the course of next week, whereupon Motorsport South Africa shall consider its position with regard to an appeal against the judgment.

Bullying tactics by Sport Governing bodies has seen it's backside in the courts of this country, not only in motorsport, but in others as well. The cycling fraternity just has not realized this yet.

If I look at the 3D route video it looks like the route changed direction from 2016. Is this true or am I smoking my socks.

If I look at the 3D route video it looks like the route changed direction from 2016. Is this true or am I smoking my socks.

route map shows it going the same way as last year...

I did the 1st Juma 54km, it was the most fun i had with my clothes on. As for the carnage, last i heard it resulted in 19 hip replacements and 3 broken ankles, its not a race or ride to be taken lightly, especially if you lack MTB skills. Be careful if its your 1st, rather walk the tricky sections and enjoy the ride and the finish.

The biggest complaint was the bottle necks, hopefully they been sorted by now. 

CONSEQUENCES FOR ALL SPORT

Motorsport South Africa has with concern taken note of the judgment handed down today in the North Gauteng High Court in the dispute between it & World of Motorsport ZA.

In particular the judgment in respect of the constitutionality &/or enforceability of section 1 of the National Sport & Recreation Act appears to be problematical & may likely have unintended & far reaching consequences not only for motorsport, but for all National Federations seized with the administration & control of particular sporting codes.

The typed transcript of the judgment is expected during the course of next week, whereupon Motorsport South Africa shall consider its position with regard to an appeal against the judgment.

Bullying tactics by Sport Governing bodies has seen it's backside in the courts of this country, not only in motorsport, but in others as well. The cycling fraternity just has not realized this yet.

And unfortunately WOMZA has fizzled out due to their ideas being unsustainable in the long run. Nice refreshing approach for competitors in general, but then the gears started grinding. Anyhoo, back to the JUMA :)

Have a good one guys. I did the first one, and thoroughly enjoyed it!! Sadly the alignment of the planets are off and I won't be doing this one.

PS. Most of the carnage, IMHO is unskilled cyclist overreaching and coming short. Sadly many yearly warriors (my version of someone that only rides once a year) ride the JUMA, so be patient and have an awesome ride!!!

I've entered for my first JUMA (I'm usually away this weekend for some reason) but ride the spruit weekly so not expecting too many problems. Should be epic! Woohoo!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by Connection