The Pyrenees - Road, MTB & Enduro Riding, Trail Building, Iconic GT Climbs & Nearby Attractions....

Bonus

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The nearest road-climb from my house (and there are many, believe me!) is the climb from just outside Boltaña, up to the village of Campodarbe.

It starts about 6km from home and is a 7km climb that ascends around 450m (1476ft). You can go up it as many times as you like and every time you go up you get to roll back down again.

What more could you ask for?

post-4874-0-08135800-1489610293_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-48292300-1489610299_thumb.jpg

The petrol lawnmower that Wendys parents bought us in SA some time before we left is still working perfectly and earning it's keep.

Yesterday I cut grass verges around our house and the farm house and then used it to cut small scrub / blow away leaves on my bike trail . . .

I am walking with a lawnmower 5000 odd miles away from where it was bought. cutting a path though the Spanish countryside . . .  as you do.

post-4874-0-54220300-1490168232_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-46131800-1490168240_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

The petrol lawnmower that Wendys parents bought us in SA some time before we left is still working perfectly and earning it's keep.

Yesterday I cut grass verges around our house and the farm house and then used it to cut small scrub / blow away leaves on my bike trail . . .

I am walking with a lawnmower 5000 odd miles away from where it was bought. cutting a path though the Spanish countryside . . . as you do.

I get the same feeling when I cut the lawn in Ireland with the mower that my dad used to use in our garden on the farm in Howick 30 years ago. The world keeps getting smaller

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does.

When we first moved to SA many years ago it seemed to take weeks for my gran and I to exchange letters (even with air-mail).

Now, on any given day I am using Whattsapp to chat to my folks in SA, my son in the UK and Wendy's daughter in NY - sometimes all at the same time . . whilst monitoring a bike race in the Cape and one in Catalunya, and talking nonsense on The Hub.

:-)

• 1 month later...

I'm going to be riding, photographing and reporting on all of the Zona Zero MTB/Enduro routes over the next few weeks . . it's a tough job but someone has to do it :-)

I'm going to be riding, photographing and reporting on all of the Zona Zero MTB/Enduro routes over the next few weeks . . it's a tough job but someone has to do it :-)

The riding and photographing experience will be great :thumbup: ,  the reporting side of it not too much imo  :thumbdown:

The riding and photographing experience will be great :thumbup: ,  the reporting side of it not too much imo  :thumbdown:

I want to write a little report on each route - what to look out for en-route, how far the route is from our place, variations on the route that you can take to extend it. etc etc.

I love this stuff :-)

Worked with Ramon the friendly farmer on the farm this morning for a while and then did some trail-clearing on the "variation" part of Route 3 Light / Route 9 which goes past our front door.

I do love my "office"

post-4874-0-21651800-1494255588_thumb.jpg

Trail Clearing today with Angel and his dogs above the village of Escalona, just north of Ainsa. The trail passes the abandoned hilltop village of Muro de Bellos.

A good days work - I will go back in the week and test the trail :-)

post-4874-0-16230800-1494712891_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-05503000-1494712899_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-42315000-1494712909_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-71168700-1494712921_thumb.jpg

Hi Bonus , comming over in August to france .... wanting to ride pyrenees this year .

Thinking Andora then over to spanish side .

Sounds like one needs a guide in pyrenees as trails not that well marked and English not that widely spoken.

Any thoughts .... enduro type riding.

Hi CM

If you can get yourself to where we are - in Ainsa - you can ride "Zona-Zero", which is what they call the collection of MTB/Enduro trails here.

http://www.bttpirineo.com/en

The trails, and there's almost 1000km of them all in all, are well marked out and well maintained.

I can show you around too :-)

Trail building with Angel & David up in the hills above Morrillo de San Pedro yesterday.

Sometimes you have to do some "trail clearing" just to get to where you want to do some trail clearing!

Yesterday was mostly breaking and shifting rocks. Hard work, but it is a fantastic piece of single track - I look forward to trying it soon!

post-4874-0-17115500-1495087254_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-30652500-1495087285_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-64205400-1495087302_thumb.jpg