The Pyrenees - Road, MTB & Enduro Riding, Trail Building, Iconic GT Climbs & Nearby Attractions....

Bonus

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my first road ride in a while on Thursday evening.

The sun isn't setting now until past 9:30pm and the evenings are warm and beautifully clear. Wendy prefers to ride mornings.

The local roads, which are all in very good condition, are quiet and the drivers are considerate and courteous. We rarely have a car pass us that isn't so far away that it's over on the other side of the central line. If there isn't space to pass us safely then the cars wait until it is. No close passing, no horns or verbal abuse.

What a pleasure . . . .

:-)

On Sunday I rode with some of the Zona Zero guys - Angel, Rafa, David and Kiko on the new route that we've been clearing and building recently. We fitted a few signs but apart from that it was just "ridin."

Most of the route was rideable on my Epic but on occasions I had to get off and step over rock obstructions. Angel, David & Rafa rode 99% of the route, Kiko and I were "brothers in slowness" on the descents bit I held my own on the climbs :-) 

Rafa supplied transport to take us and our bikes up into the hills and then we all rode along the ridge and back down into Ainsa - via several inhabited/uninhabited villages, fetching the transport vehicle and trailer a  bit later on. (It's nice that you can leave a Merc Combi and Trailer in the middle of nowhere for 8 hrs and it's still there when you go back for it!)

Beautiful scenery & views, hard but rewarding climbs, wicked singletrack and some demanding descents. A fantastic day with good mates. Perfect.

post-4874-0-40424700-1496060903_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-73488600-1496060915_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-17482800-1496060971_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-04817900-1496060980_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-12057700-1496060988_thumb.jpg

A quick Picnic next to a natural spring, then Angel showed us that he actually can descend anything!

Cleared a fallen tree and finished the ride with a ride down a cool shallow stream. :-)

post-4874-0-91592000-1496061213_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-76784400-1496061223_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-30440400-1496061232_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-26439500-1496061240_thumb.jpg

The details of the new Enduro/XC Tech route (# ZE12) have been released on the Zona Zero website.

http://bttpirineo.com/es/rutas-btt-pirineo/ze12-maxi-piojo-1

All in Spanish I'm afraid but copy & paste to "Google translate" works well!

It's the route built recently and tested last weekend. I really enjoyed it - although it was beyond my expertise level in places, everyone else seemed to manage ;-)

There are a couple of Variations available (shown on the map) and several others that I know about that are not on the map . . . . inside information for people that come and stay with us when we open :-)

post-4874-0-99053100-1496492944_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-54758200-1496492951_thumb.jpg

On Friday myself, Angel, William (from France) and Matty (from Argentina) accompanied as usual by Golfo, Lili & Lolitta, cleared & repaired an old trail between Morcat and Castellazo.

At its highest point it is around 1200m above sea level and from up there the views are stunning. It was a hot day and hard work - but it shouldn't need doing again now for quite some time at least :-)

post-4874-0-96174700-1497084935_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-51529700-1497084941_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-15116800-1497084947_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-04904700-1497084961_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My little "accident" the other week highlighted some important things that people coming here should be aware of. I'm sure we'll put this little list up on our website when we build it but we'll also remind people when they arrive here.

1) The number to use for all emergencies (road traffic or otherwise) is "112". Then ask for the appropriate emergency service. Police, Ambulance, Fire or Mountain Rescue.

If anyone else at the accident says "they've already made the call" don't be afraid to do it yourself anyway. Two calls are better than none.

2) Normal rules apply if it's a traffic accident - don't move anything, don't leave the scene, do swap details etc.

3) Seriously consider holiday insurance. I had no intention of crashing and the accident wasn't my fault, but it still happened.

UK citizens can apply for a "European Health Insurance Card" to take on holiday with them and so should be covered by their UK National Insurance number abroad. In this case I would have gone to the local emergency clinic 5kms away for free. (This situation may change after Brexit . . . .)

I suspect other EU countries will have a similar agreement with Spain regarding healthcare.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night Wendy and I had my first "Post-Accident" ride along the river bank from Margudged (the village I had the accident in as it happens!) to Ainsa and back :-)

Seems I'm ok. Just need to reclaim some fitness after three weeks off :-(

Just read this whole thing

How does one get to live in Spain :o and belgium and all these wonderful places

If you have lots and lots and lots of money...

Or if you have a trustfund in Monaco...

No disrespect meant towards Bonus, to be living abroad is also a dream I aspire to but wil deffinitely not happen

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If you have lots and lots and lots of money...

Or if you have a trustfund in Monaco...

No disrespect meant towards Bonus, to be living abroad is also a dream I aspire to but wil deffinitely not happen

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I'm banking on my wiremans license and A few other things I still want to get to be my bridge over to one of those countries  :P