The Pyrenees - Road, MTB & Enduro Riding, Trail Building, Iconic GT Climbs & Nearby Attractions....

Bonus

If I won the Lotto I'd buy the whole lot and turn it into something amazing . . . . Meanwhile, in the real world, let's get our own place done first hey??

Out if interest how much could you buy that for?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly haven't a clue. Properties like this are unique - so there's no real way of telling.

To buy it, have plans drawn up, pay for the planning permission, renovate it, put in a proper access road - curently a badly maintained dirt track which is a couple of km's long, run in mains water and electricity (or go Solar), and pay the relevant taxes  . . . . you'd need to have won the Lottery!  

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, just as the season should be picking up speed and people should be flocking to our area to ride the Enduro & XC MTB Trails of Zona Zero or road riding the Cols & Valleys of the Pyrenees, the Corona Virus has, overnight, stopped everything dead in its tracks. 

I had friends visiting - they arrived from a wet and windy Scotland on Thursday night in their two camper vans for three weeks of riding in the sunshine - and by Sunday lunchtime they were on their way home. Both of them and I are gutted. 

Spain enetered a State of Emergency on Friday and on Sunday evening a sever restriction of movement of people was announced, to start 8am on Monday morning.

The trails are closed, even to locals. There's a 2000€ fine if you get caught Running / Jogging or Cycling at all during the next 15 days. The reason behind this isn't so much a case of keeping people away from each other but rather reducing the number of people who could potentially hurt themselves / be involved in some sort of accident and require hospital treatment. I know some people will argue that you could just as easily have a kitchen related accident over the next 15 days as fall of your bike - but they've had to make decisions and this is one of the calls they've made.

If this 15 day quarantine period is enough to slow the spread of the virus, and therefore the demand on hospital treatment, enough then maybe we can salvage the Easter holidays - but I think that's maybe a big ask given the scale of things.

At least this is to some degree (or at least we all hope so) a finite problem. Within a period of time this little asshole of a virus will have done it's worst and we can start putting our lives back together. I fear though that the cost we're all going to pay, financially and otherwise, is going to be high.

I know there's talk of this virus being too tough to beat, but I can't think along those lines right now. If that turns out to be the case them our little blue dot really is going to be in trouble.

Keep well everyone.

B.

..............I know some people will argue that you could just as easily have a kitchen related accident over the next 15 days as fall of your bike ..................

Cabin fever is a real disease and can be deadly if kitchen knives get involved........ ;) 

• 1 month later...

Hopefully it won't be too long now before our Lockdown is over.

It's going to take a while for life to return to something we recognise as "normal" and it could well end up being different to what we've been used to.....but in the end the Mountains will still be silently looking down on us and the countryside will still be there for us to enjoy.

Loving and living in the Pyrenees . . . . . 

post-4874-0-00824900-1587601145_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First "Post Lockdown" Ride today and it was amazing! A couple of hours of MTB on my local trails. We've been allowed to go out and exercise for a week now but today was my first chance to get out.

Nothing too serious - was just nice to get out and spin the legs. Saw a few other people out - some jogging and some riding, but Ainsa town itself was deserted apart from a couple of people outside the pharmacy.

Was certainly a lovely day for it! 

post-4874-0-77010500-1589040467_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-12521100-1589040480_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-22771900-1589040493_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-01671200-1589040506_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-04047200-1589040517_thumb.jpg

Remembering last summer!

The long, light, warm evenings are nearly here again and I'm looking forward to it.

Our restaurants have been allowed to open this week. Outside seating only and with a space between tables, but it's a step in the right direction!

post-4874-0-24635200-1589387303_thumb.jpg

The last few days have been wet enough for me not to be able to go to work - but dry enough to shoot out for a couple of hours if I time it right!

Todays ride included a singletrack section through "The Badlands". Normally there's a well worn "line" that you can follow at speed. Currently, due to lots of rain and almost no one riding the trails, the line is gone. Not a major problem until you get to a blind rise with a left or right turn on its peak - where a clue would be nice!!

Anyway I'm happy to be out . . . . .

post-4874-0-62025900-1589558869_thumb.jpg

Beautiful weather today and my ride took me through the Plaza up in the old town. Saw very few other people and none of the bars or restaurants were open. Down in the new town there were a couple of places open and serving drinks to customers seated outside......

Happy we're starting to come out of this now!

post-4874-0-36565600-1589741547_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-57737400-1589741555_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-26829500-1589741569_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-16756600-1589741585_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Monte Perdido and the three Marias (Tres Marias) in the Ordesa National Park taken from just outside Ainsa on Sundays ride.

It's getting hot here now!

post-4874-0-22587400-1592889866_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Summer evening ride along the river track between Ainsa and Boltaña.

34 Degrees at 8pm and the sun doesn't set for a couple of hours yet . . . .

post-4874-0-66689000-1594065009_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cookin' tonight! 

A  couple of pics from a recent late afternoon ride. "Late afternoon" here in Spain during the summer can be anytime between 5pm and 8pm.....

This is half way up a climb a few km's outside Ainsa . . . . which is in the background.

post-4874-0-57164300-1595652722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

I've posted from this spot before - up through the Old Town, out the back of the Castle and over to the "Mirador" - the viewpoint above the Rio Cinca.

So often when you look north you see heavy weather over on the French side of the Pyrenees. 

post-4874-0-28935900-1595652808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus