The Pyrenees - Road, MTB & Enduro Riding, Trail Building, Iconic GT Climbs & Nearby Attractions....

Bonus

Summer is here for sure!

The average daytime temps at the moment hover around 34 or 35 dgrees but we peaked at 37.5 degrees yesterday afternoon.

Much like SA in the summer, the mornings up until around 10:30 are perfect for riding. Unlike SA we also get to go out again in the light evenings - between 7:30 and when it gets dark - currently around 9:30pm. 

I do love my summer evening rides! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I guided Rodney - an American who's lived down the road in Zaragoza for the last 20 years.

We kept in touch and became friends and he's been keen to come back to Zona Zero since his last trip. Finally, after a Covid enforced delay, we're riding together again, with him on his new bike.

It's always nice when clients had such a good time they look you up again :-)

This was last night on ZZ Route 5 Light - a nice fast XC route!

post-4874-0-58331200-1597336662_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Zona Zero has just released maps and details of 21 new XC routes - "For Bikers with the Soul of a Wolf".

I'll be trying them out as soon as I can find some time!

post-4874-0-72638700-1598303088_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know I've posted this view before - looking north towards France from up at the "Mirador Del Cinca" - but it's a place I pass on my normal "get out for an hour or so" ride and it never fails to impress me....

Also on yesterdays ride, I managed to find a little stretch of "dry river bed" hidden in the trees that I can use to extend one of my XC routes nicely :-)

post-4874-0-40675300-1602083343_thumb.jpg

The village of Sieste with the Pena Montenesa behind it, taken on route ZZ-018 - "Paths Of Mondebueno & Madalena"....

It's a beautiful day - dry, warm & sunny. Long may it continue!

:-)

post-4874-0-22178700-1602850930_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

• 3 weeks later...

Having lived in the UK for so long, between stints in SA, I still can't get over how good the "Northern Hemisphere" weather is here right through November and usually up until Christmas.

The UK is generally crap from the beginning of November onwards. With people giving heartfelt thanks to any day with sunshine between now and March!  Man it used to depress me. I didn't mind the "dark evenings" so much - especially near Christmas when people put lights up etc. It's can be very pretty and "warming" even on a cold night. But the countless "grey days" that go on and on used to drive me nuts.

I was guiding someone visiting here from the UK once and he said to me "if you put up a webcam showing people what the weather is like here in Winter, I gaurantee there will be people in the UK who have just "had enough" and browse the net looking for a weekend away. A webcam will sell it for you".

So here we appreciate the lack of grey and the abundance of sun during the winter....

From yesterday mornings ride and then yesterday afternoons walk....... the Pena Monenesa and the Rio Ara :-)

post-4874-0-20501100-1604309306_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-20971300-1604309320_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-97245500-1604309347_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I did part of Zona Zero Route 15 (ZZ-015) which is five minutes down the road from Boltaña town.

A 40 minute climb on a really nice gravel track followed by a 12 minute descent on a combination of farm trail / jeep track / goodness knows what.  

The trail goes up to the village of Silves, which actually consists of two parts - the upper and the lower village (Silves Alto and Silves Bajo). The village is semi-inhabited. The houses will all have been "in the family" for ever and I'm not certain but I believe that the houses that are occupied are actually holiday places and the families actuall live elsewhere. The village sits at about 900m and the views are, as usual, stunning. 

It's surprising how quickly you find youself way up above the road you were just on!

post-4874-0-80856200-1604428866_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-16028400-1604429499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

A sunny afternoon riding through the Castle grounds up in Ainsa Old Town.

Normally there would have been loads of people enjoying the day :-(

#Covid19 #2020

post-4874-0-94912100-1604864442_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday we were out in an area called "La Fueva" - which is a 20 minute drive from us - for a nice XC ride.

I had found some tracks & trails that I thought would suit "Wendy" who's not into the Technical XC stuff I generally do. 

At one point I was convinced we were back on Northern Farm....... 

post-4874-0-25670400-1606066607_thumb.jpg