ewaldsadie

That looks damn cool. Looks like I'd need adult diapers to get through that. Not cool.

Not all crazy rock gardens. In fact most of the trails there are wide , flowy and incredibly well built! Only the top section is steep and rocky . Go and check the trails out!

Rode the black last week with my son, who regularly does the black, as well as hurricane and enduro rocks for his training. Plenty places to book yourself into Vergelegen for an extended stay up on the mountain. Still walking some sections until I learn the lines. Already lost a bit of skin on this mountain.

Edited by Moridin

Rode the black last week with my son, who regularly does the black, as well as hurricane and enduro rocks for his training. Plenty places to book yourself into Vergelegen for an extended stay up on the mountain. Still walking some sections until I learn the lines. Already lost a bit of skin on this mountain.

attachicon.gifhelderberg_black_top.jpg

Will will freak out if he sees a BMC parked against his post.  :ph34r:

No man. William and I are big mates. :thumbup:  We usually have endless discussions about XC in his shop. He still owes me an answer to a mail I sent him a while ago. Darren also still owes me a 100mm air spring.  :ph34r:

Edited by Moridin

another tough day at the office for these unfortunate riders.

Well if it makes you feel any better, there was a strong, frigid wind blowing while we did this shoot so it really was a tough day at the office!

What makes Helderberg and Steilte so cool is that the XC track climbs generally have a lekker gradient and are easy to pedal up if you are reasonably fit, even on an enduro bike. Its a bit of a maze of trails though. I've done two enduros and two shuttle days there and still rode some tracks I'd never seen before last Sunday... 

Moridin - time for a longer fork on that bike, or maybe a trail bike? 

What makes Helderberg and Steilte so cool is that the XC track climbs generally have a lekker gradient and are easy to pedal up if you are reasonably fit, even on an enduro bike. Its a bit of a maze of trails though. I've done two enduros and two shuttle days there and still rode some tracks I'd never seen before last Sunday... 

Moridin - time for a longer fork on that bike, or maybe a trail bike? 

It's got a 120 Reba now.

Maybe one day I will have money for a Pyga Stage Max, or Pascoe. Or Trance.

At this point I am very confident with the red trails on Helderberg. The black trails, enduro rocks, hurricane (some parts) and the black XCO rockgarden still scares me.

These trails are awesome but is still a bit too technical for most xc recreational riders. I would recommend keeping the xc line down completely off the black down lines, and complement the more challenging parts with easier options on the xc line down.