Gravel Grinders: A journey from Houw Hoek to Vermaaklikheid

Bike Hub Features

Like many good adventures, this one was born over a cup of good coffee one lazy afternoon in Stellenbosch. The initial plan was to cycle from Cape Town to Knysna over two days on mountain bikes, but this had been done before. After looking at the routes, it was clear that gravel grinders were the perfect fit for the farm back roads and we decided on Vermaaklikheid as the ideal place to finish.

Click here to view the article

Great piece. Very motivating. Thanks for including the map images.

Just a pity you had to make up that last bit about Vermaaklikheid being a nice place. It's a terrible spot - they steal bicycles and girlfriends there and the beer is always warm. Rather push on a bit to Stilbaai.

Hackster you jest, but despite the almost 0 population there is terrible crime at Vermaaklikheid. Hold on to your outboard motors, gas piping, weed eaters...  - the list goes on. Great place though despite the ***. 

Great ride guys.  What map set did you use for the routing?

Tracks 4 Africa using BaseCamp to plot the route.

Wasn't aware of the crime. Pity, as it's a cool destination.

Yep, been a part owner there for 16 years. There was also a spate of vandalism   - our water supply being a target twice. Managed to get the outboard perps convicted but I never got mine back. The same criminal burned down a house because he could not get into the secure store to steal their motors...

How do you cope with the corrugations on the 2ndary gravel roads without any suspension?

And did you manage to stay out of the way of the farmers' bakkies that drive at > 100km/h floating around with marginal control due to shot shock absorbers, kicking up clouds of dust while hammering the corrugations a little deeper?

Otherwise it looks like lots of fun :-)

Nice one. Vermaaklikheid used to have a great seafood restaurant. The owner literally caught the fish the morning and served it the evening in his restaurant. Was a local hotspot till it closed. Unfortunately not enough customers in the area to make it worth their while.

A couple of friends and I still have a yearly ride from Heidelberg to Jongensfontein via Vermaaklikheid. Nice rolling district roads for us not so technically orientated fatties.

How do you cope with the corrugations on the 2ndary gravel roads without any suspension?

And did you manage to stay out of the way of the farmers' bakkies that drive at > 100km/h floating around with marginal control due to shot shock absorbers, kicking up clouds of dust while hammering the corrugations a little deeper?

Otherwise it looks like lots of fun :-)

I also respect this guys for the lack of suspension.

Back to the farmers. I confess. I may be one of them. While you may be having a holiday the locals still need to make a living. . Compare it to your drive to work. There is always an asshole somewhere. Keep to the side of the road. And a little wave here and there when a bakkie passes you in an orderly manner goes a long way.