Gravel Grinders: A journey from Houw Hoek to Vermaaklikheid

Bike Hub Features

I did some holiday cycling on a ridged frame commuter out of Witsand a few years ago. I recall weaving around on the Witsand Malgas road trying to find a line between the corrugations and diving for the verge every-time a vehicle appeared. I would love to do this trip, but I would chose a bike with some fork travel and plan for two or three days on the road. I like the Subaru to carry the packs!

Inspiring!

In the area this December holiday, will be doing a "gravel grinder light", maybe from Heidelberg to Jongens via Vermaaklikheid?  ^_^

This trip was absolutely amazing. I would encourage everyone to try something like this. Get a few mates together and just ride your bikes to unfamiliar places! I am really looking forward to the next one. The bike I rode was 100% and I had no problem with corrugations thanks to the Lefty Oliver. 

Timo Cooper 

This trip was absolutely amazing. I would encourage everyone to try something like this. Get a few mates together and just ride your bikes to unfamiliar places! I am really looking forward to the next one. The bike I rode was 100% and I had no problem with corrugations thanks to the Lefty Oliver. 

Timo Cooper 

:thumbup:

Tell us about the plastic snake and your hours of preparation!  :whistling:

:thumbup:

Tell us about the plastic snake and your hours of preparation!  :whistling:

Hours of preparation - Mental preparation (a lot).physical preparation (close to zero)

I really thought the snake was a joke by Iwan or JB and decided to show them i am on to them and not afraid of a plastic snake. Meanwhile back at the ranch, it was a real snake and I almost lost my life! (not really)    

how did you okes swindle the Subaru for a test ride ?

Because Bike Hub

Edit: Just phone Tienie Bester at Subaru Cape Town - he'll sort you out.

How do you cope with the corrugations on the 2ndary gravel roads without any suspension?

Reply from Craig:

"I think using the right tyres is a really good start, I used the Specialized Trigger 700x38c the workshop staff also made my bike tubeless so I could run lower pressures, I was running 4 bar.

I did not find the corrugations too bad, keeping your arms bent just a little was the biggest thing I could do to help.

But I must say we did not have really bad corrugation, I have had worse.

Thank so much for getting in touch with us.

Happy riding
Craig Boyes"

Timo Cooper 

When I rode the bike the only concern I had was finding replacement tyres for the 650b wheels. Also if it was tubeless it also would have helped. The tread from the Spez on the Slate would be a winning combo.

Edited by Pure Savage

Reply from Craig:

"I think using the right tyres is a really good start, I used the Specialized Trigger 700x38c the workshop staff also made my bike tubeless so I could run lower pressures, I was running 4 bar.

I did not find the corrugations to bad, keeping your arms bent just a little was the biggest this I could to help.
But I must say we did not have really bad corrugation, i have had worse.

Thank so much for getting in touch with us.

Happy riding
Craig Boyes"

Did Craig forget his hub password :P

Me and my good mate did some gravel grinding in the W-Cape over last xmas / NY. 

We rode from Hermanus to Yzerfontein (via Greyton, Villiersdorp & Tulbach) - some of the route was gravel and in pretty remote areas (no cars...no people...no anything). We tried to do as much gravel as possible, but it's not always possible to map or determine a viable route using a PC in Joburg.

Apart from the fact that it was hot as hell (40+ in Moorreesburg), we encountered no issues.  Well, we were properly hungover on Day 2, but that's the fault of Greyton's hospitality (definitely not us celebrating surviving Day 1).

We carried all our own stuff and had no support vehicle or backup ('cos we are PRO). We had no detailed mapping or GPS points (only cellphones and a big W-Cape foldout map).  

Our only goal was to get to the West Coast before NYE (to make a party at a mate's house).  We didn't make any proper plans or bookings in advance, apart from sussing out the general route beforehand in google maps to avoid as much traffic as possible.  A credit card and cellphone solve most problems, apart from actually pedaling the bike.

It was one of the best trips (on or off a bike) I have ever done and I can highly recommend it - if you are considering it, just do it.

PS: it's best to get permission from spouses beforehand and not propose this on xmas day.  Any type of bribery, gifts etc. are allowed to obtain spousal approval.

Me and my good mate did some gravel grinding in the W-Cape over last xmas / NY. 

We rode from Hermanus to Yzerfontein (via Greyton, Villiersdorp & Tulbach)

This sounds like winning to me.  :thumbup:

I did a solo, 4 day trip in December as well.

Willowmore - Klaarstroom  through Meiringspoort to De Rust on day 1.

De Rust to Prince Albert over Swarberg pass day 2.

PA to Calitzdorp via Kruisrivier and Groenfontein day 3.

Roundtrip from Calitzdorp to top of Seweweekspoort and back to the Rooiberg on day 4.

I will ensure that I either have a lighter load or fewer  gear inches at the granny end if I plan to do Swartberg twice in 12 hours again.

Jis now that was such a lekker read and those pictures are just beautiful. We have so much to offer in this country and just take a chance on a road less traveled. Jis I am up for this type of riding. Done road, MTB, and now this looks just so lekker!! thanks for those amazing pics just so beautifully done. I am helping Alex Harris out with the Munga again this year and there is some awesome gravel riding there as well. Bloem to Wellington in the Cape, 1094ks unassisted, finishing over the Bainskloof Pass.....check it out.....the Munga. Some absolutely beautiful sights along that route as well. Thanks for sharing this ride dudes well done...