Inaugural Crank Chaos a resounding success

News bot

Awesome. Well done everyone! 

I will definitely join some of the Afri Ski events next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Great Stuff guys - love to hear some feedback from the hubbers that went

So I went for the enduro event (my 3rd in 3 years and my 1st in 2years)... Thursday went up the lift and onto the closest down trail, which was supposed to be an enduro trail.  30m in, the 1st drop-off stopped me dead in my tracks. Climbed down, stood at the top of the landing.  Launch was about half a foot above my head. I'm 6'1.   WTF!!?? This is enduro, Lesotho style!!??  Turns out it was a DH track, the drop featuring one of the pics on the CrankChaos website :-)

Aside from the initial lack of info on which tracks were which (we did ask a number of people organising and got vague responses all over), it was a great event.  Great vibe and man, the riding was insane for pretty much everyone in our group, which included a few early enduro-ers, up to "world famous in Gauteng" riders (and maybe wider than that).   200m drop in 1.2km.  It's not the Spruit (thank Fk for that).  Plus the altitude.  Enduro rides were hard work, so were the DH tracks, regardless of skipping the bigger drops.

Going again next year?  Hell yes.

so i wasnt there for the whole event as i had to work on Friday but went through for the weekend, here is my 2c.

• the ski lift is a nice way to get to the top, at that altitude even walking a bike is frikken hard work but its a bit of a hit and miss as to whether you stay on, you have to consistently pull the T-bar into your body so as not to fall off, added to the fact that the bike is being steered vs being pulled/ carried on a gondola type rig can make for some eventful trips up the mountain, but as i say it beats walking or riding up.
  • the trails are quiet steep and fast in places and yes there are some big drops, my first trip for maluti mahem, i didnt even attempt 1 of the drops on Gooi meelies but this time round i just threw my weight back and rolled and they are very easy, no real speed is required as its very easy to overshoot.
  • the dirt is very strange, its very grippy and allows for real confidence inspiring speed but once the sun has a chance to bake it becomes a little dusty. still grippy but following very close on the heals of another rider does make for some interesting approaches to jumps, berms drops etc.
  • there is nothing quiet like this in any other African site i have come across, the trails have been well thought out and they allow for each rider to progress as your confidence increases( granted some obstacles just require a set of brass balls the size of bowling balls) but still.
  • the dirt is very forgiving when you do come off, i bought several pieces of property and did nothing more than dust myself of with no real injury to speak of.
  • the food is frikken awesome, the sky bar is great, all be it a little expensive, dont get me wrong its not take your breath away expensive but its not cheap.
  • the booze is very cheap!!!!! considering there is nothing anywhere near there they could charge a fortune but they dont and its very good value for money.
  • the accommodation is well priced and comfortable enough but could do with a little more upkeep i guess if you want to be anal about details.
  • the staff are super friendly and are always willing to go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
  • once the wind picks up the riding does become rather unpleasant as we all found that our wheels and bikes were being blown all over the place. its difficult not to be scared when on a 1.5m drop you end up almost a meter to the side of the line you started on.
  • from a bike perspective its a tough one, i found i managed everything ok on my SC nomad but could definitely have done with more suspension to help from a forgiveness point of view. my mates on their DH Bikes definitely seemed to have more fun, i now just have to find the amo to buy one i suppose.
  • as far as the exhibitors go i was impressed but it would have been nice if even one of them actually had a DH bike to test rather than only trail type bikes. its not really a criticism as such but on a trail such as Afriski a DH bike just makes more sense in my opinion.

once again i must state the riding is frikken awesome, me and a mate took a look at the intercontinental DH track but decided that, that is just for stupid people that have no fear of death. this is my second trip and i honestly cant wait to go back, its close, its relatively affordable and all in that makes for a very cool trip.