Garmin Fenix 3 vs Suunto Spartan Ultra

AllAboutRides

The suunto has less features and costs more according to DC Rainmaker, Also he says it falls far short of suunto's usual perfection. 

My vote goes Fenix3

Between those two, I'd go Fenix. I have heard a lot of complaints about Spartan.

I have the Ambit3 Peak, which I got on special once Spartans started dropping. Works for me... I wanted battery life and got it - LOTS of it... 

Ambit 3 is a great watch, have found it to be more flexible that the garmin on my bike, when you doing 15h events the suunto allows u to customize the GPS update interval meaning i dont have to charge the device, my mates on the garmin 510 had to charge half way through the ride.   

but at 5k more dont know if i would go for the suunto! 

Looking at the significant feature difference as well as the $200 premium charged by Suunto, I cannot understand why one wouldn't go for the Garmin. It also happens to be a far better looking unit imho... 

Will be using as an multi sport watch.

Please share your thoughts.....

If you want to do triathlons have a look at the Garmin 735XT & 920XT as well.

If you can afford the Fenix 3, I would suggest that you go for the Fenix 3 rather than the 920XT (have experience with both).  The 735XT is also great if you are not planning on doing a full IM at any stage (battery life) or if accurate total ascent is not a big issue to you (doesn't have a barometric altimeter).

[current Fenix 3 HR user, also use it as a wearable despite my skinny lady wrists]

Edited by Sparkles

Izak has both, he woudl be in a good position to comment

I do and have only ever taken the Spartan out the box for an 'unboxing review' and one run.  I like it, it really is a good looking and extremely comfortable watch and the touch screen is quite awesome.

It has been getting loads of new functionality with software upgrades and is on par with the fenix  with regards to functionality and measurements provided.

Main issue though is customisability, I like to customise the watch a lot and Garmin allows me that with all the available downloadable data fields, watch faces etc etc.  I know that this is coming with some upgrades to the movescount website which will make it as customisable.

So that, and the fact that I have loads of Garmin accessories and cams, is why I am selling my Suunto ;)