Kona Diaries #5: The Race

News bot

I had always dreamed of Kona, and had read so much about the race, the course, the athletes, Huggo’s, the undie run, and so on. What I didn’t envisage was how tough writing about the race would be. Unlike my only attempt at racing on the Big Island, this is my sixth attempt at this race report.

Click here to view the article

Well done for finishing and keeping going Rob, there will be many who would have bailed !!  Thanks for all the reports including your race report which am sure as you say was even harder to write considering the initial dejection from the race.  Kudos!!

"thinking of all the sacrifices I’d made, all the effort I had put in, the years in the sport"

This resonates with me as I guess it does with all triathletes irrespective of distance of the event. The hours and hours of training, the declines to functions etc...The solitude of training alone (most of my training is alone) the pain and suffering of training. I reckon only other triathletes actually understand or comprehend this hence the level of respect afforded to each other. your writing is vivid and describes emotions I go through every ironman I do. Cept I am on the other end of the field.

Well done, Kona for me is never realistically going to happen unless I am still in the sport when I am 80 + and being the only finisher in PE or something. :) .

Wow great story and well done, despite how you felt.  Amazing accomplishment brings the humanity back into what for some seems an inhuman effort.

what an experience!! thanks for taking us through it in such detail. much appreciated! bloody scary to say the least. proud of you champ, you did well.. all the hard work got you through the "good,tough, humbling and positive" aspects. you will never be the same person again, nothing wrong with that :)