Fizik aliante r5 saddle

Chasing_single_track

Hi Gurus, 

I have recently been for a bike fitting and they recommend that I upgrade my saddle to the fizik R5 aliante saddle. Unfortunately the price is way out of budget and I cannot imagine that it is worth the cost. 

Can anyone recommend an alternative seat that won't break the bank but will offer the same performance and fit as the Fizik. 

Background from the fitting:

I am in the bull range of flexibility so I require the support for the sit bones over the pubic bone. 

Riding a Trek Superfly FS 7 dual sus. 

Thanks. 

I have yet to try the power, however the Romin from spez has been brilliant. Same shape but the harder surface and the relief zone is much more comfortable than the aliante was for me.

what was the quoted price ?

fiziks are pricey but they are good saddles and they last .

maybe someone on here knows of a better priced supplier or maybe has a second hand one for you .. ^_^

I had an Aliante XM on my MTB for the past year or so and it has been a dream. Recently the saddle tore in the mesh underneath, I filled in their online form and within a week a brand new Aliante gamma arrived. No questions asked. 

It's a pity it's a road specific saddle and has white (soon to be brown) on it but the comfort is incredible. Take a look at the gamma, it will be around the same budget as the cheapest Specialized Power. People are raving about the Spez and I know if they didn't send me a new one it was going to be the first I was going to test! 

I have the Aliante VSX on both my road and mtb bike, for more than 2 years now love them worth the buks.

Had the Romin before that could not come right with it.

I'm curios as to why they would recommend this specific saddle.

I've bought a Fizik saddle just when I started cycling, because someone said they are the best. I don't know the model, but it must have been a top end saddle since I've paid about R 2k for it 7 years ago. I ride with it for about 8 or 9 rides but is was uncomfortable as hell. After 30km I couldn't sit anymore.

I took it off and put the entry level-ish Sella Italia back on which I bought the bike with and still use it. I eventually gave the Fizik to a buddy and he raves about it.

You might spend some serious cash on a saddle and then it doesn't fit you. Perhaps first try out some different saddles.

I'm definitely will test the Power saddle in December, when I can ride it a couple of times to see how it feels.

I've bought a Fizik saddle just when I started cycling, because someone said they are the best. I don't know the model, but it must have been a top end saddle since I've paid about R 2k for it 7 years ago. I ride with it for about 8 or 9 rides but is was uncomfortable as hell. After 30km I couldn't sit anymore.

I took it off and put the entry level-ish Sella Italia back on which I bought the bike with and still use it. I eventually gave the Fizik to a buddy and he raves about it.

You might spend some serious cash on a saddle and then it doesn't fit you. Perhaps first try out some different saddles.

I'm definitely will test the Power saddle in December, when I can ride it a couple of times to see how it feels.

Ditto.....it all depends on the individuals @ss !

when they  "fit" you to your bike they measure your sit bones and analyze your body position and how flexible you are and "match" you to a saddle (chameleon or bull or etc)

as you get more conditioned you may change saddles over time so its not forever either .

its not just a " gee that one looks cool " decision

you will find that spez and fizik dealers (decent ones) will measure you and give you a test saddle before you buy and that just because everyone else thinks this or that model is awesome doesn't necessarily mean its right for you !

when they "fit" you to your bike they measure your sit bones and analyze your body position and how flexible you are and "match" you to a saddle (chameleon or bull or etc)

as you get more conditioned you may change saddles over time so its not forever either .

you will find that spez and fizik dealers (decent ones) will measure you and give you a test saddle before you buy and that just because everyone else thinks this or that model is awesome doesn't necessarily mean its right for you !

I have noticed that at fitments that they often recommend the closest fit that they happen to have in stock.....

I have noticed that at fitments that they often recommend the closest fit that they happen to have in stock.....

kind of like a concept store will always tell you a spaz saddle is the best fit for you .... :whistling:

when they  "fit" you to your bike they measure your sit bones and analyze your body position and how flexible you are and "match" you to a saddle (chameleon or bull or etc)

I understand this 100%. I assume they recommend the Fizik after the fitting, but I'm just curios why a Fizik. If they sell only Fizik in store then obviously you have to question there bias. Yes, in a spez concept store they will also do the fitting and recommend a Power saddle- maybe even the most expensive one.

Since the OP is asking for advice from us "guru's", I will advise to first determine the reason for this specific saddle and whether the opinion is totally independent and then first test this saddle or other similar ones.

I'm planning to first go for that smart BG test at Spez concept store (I have no doubt they would recommend the power saddle) and then first test the saddle before I buy it.

If it's not comfortable then I'll stay with my Sella Italia, but I'm sure my Venge would love a Power saddle, hehe

Edited by HBO

I understand this 100%. I assume they recommend the Fizik after the fitting, but I'm just curios why a Fizik. If they sell only Fizik in store then obviously you have to question there bias. Yes, in a spez concept store they will also do the fitting and recommend a Power saddle- maybe even the most expensive one.

Since the OP is asking for advice from us "guru's", I will advise to first determine the reason for this specific saddle and whether the opinion is totally independent and then first test this saddle or other similar ones.

I'm planning to first go for that smart BG test at Spez concept store (I have no doubt they would recommend the power saddle) and then first test the saddle before I buy it.

If it's not comfortable then I'll stay with my Sella Italia, but I'm sure my Venge would love a Power saddle, hehe

They have easy tests where they measure your flexibility and/or your sit bone width and they pigeonhole you. Minimum effort and 'scientific' results. Selle Italia have the ID match calipers so if your bike shop has that system, you will get paired with the perfect Selle Italia saddle, WOW!

Sit bones, riding position, firmness, cut outs, colours... there are only so many combinations and chances are a few will work for you. Just test the things out. Your favourite shop will have the most influence over your choice anyway.