Review: Scott Spark 940

Nick

The Scott Spark is an iconic cross-country and marathon race bike. While it may have been tempting to stick to a successful formula, Scott took the bold move to completely redesign the Spark range. For 2017, forget what you knew about the Scott Spark as everything from suspension design, geometry, and even the intended riding style has seen a complete overhaul.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great, I think I'd have one of these over the RC. That being said, I prefer my old Camber to my current Epic.

Other's please don't make the same mistake, unless you get paid to win then go for the more entertaining ride.

13.1 kg claimed!  What was the actual weight, with pedals?

Actual weight of a Large with a healthy dose of tyre sealant, lots of Lesotho dirt, and a bottle cage (excluding pedals) is 14.23 kg.

Actual weight of a Large with a healthy dose of tyre sealant, lots of Lesotho dirt, and a bottle cage (excluding pedals) is 14.23 kg.

Still not too bad, considering it's an alloy frame rocking a FOX 34, dropper and two by drivetrain. It might not appeal to XC weight weenies' sensibilities, but that's not the type of rider this bike is targeting.

Still not too bad, considering it's an alloy frame rocking a FOX 34, dropper and two by drivetrain. It might not appeal to XC weight weenies' sensibilities, but that's not the type of rider this bike is targeting.

True, and to be honest I would never have guessed that's its weight having ridden it. 

Thanks, interesting re the weight. I saw one at the shop this morning looks - good. I feel better about my XL 160mm  Enduro which comes in at about 14 kg with heavy DX pedals, Pike, mudguard, bottle cage and heavy rubber. Carbon front triangle of course - and proper 26" wheels :-) 

Ooh so you got some good testing in then. 

Spot on there. In all honesty 80% of the people in most races should be on something like this rather than the all out xc machines that they are not doing justice to.

What is Scott South Africa's global market share ?

Isn't the bike designed for the global ( US / EU ) trends in riding style ?

Most people will use this bike for a weekend Marathon /  half marathon bike with a odd visit to a bike park 

Most riders have average skills ( compared to European riders ) 

On local stage races a "" normal / Traditional "' duel sus is more than adequate .

Huge heavier tyres on skinny rims .... ??? I prefer my lighter / efficient Onza or Ikon tyres on my wider MC Wide Lightning rims   

Dropper seatpost .... ??? nice but how often does our "' local "" riding style justify that ?

I've been riding my Tallboy or Vipa on a huge variety of trails and conditions over years and still ponders if it's worth while