Review: Scott Spark 940

Nick

No mention of all those cables and levers?

Must be a pretty busy cockpit with;

L+R brake levers

F+R shifters

Dropper post lever

F+R twin-lockout lever.

I test rode the previous spark 940 which was fine, but it didn't have the extra dropper lever+cable. How's the layout and its operation?

I saw one today and yeah its pretty bust up front. It doesnt look bad though, just lots of levers all over the place.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My knowledge on dual sus bikes is extremely limited. I am good example of the "average joe" looking to get a bit crazier.

I've been riding a Scott Scale Elite HT 29er for the last 2 years. Basically my introduction to MTB. Been riding in the Tygerberg trails. My buddy, has been riding a Pyga, and now a carbon Rocky jobby. He's quite the daredevil. So, I've been on his rear wheel for the last year or so, hitting almost every feature he does, but I keep my wheels down. 

So, I got the 2017 Spark 940 a few days ago... and WOW!!! What a confidence booster! Just flies into the air!! Drop offs, no problem... table tops, insta-air. Really awesome ride. I am 1.8m, and weigh around 95kg. The bike feels considerably heavier than my HT, but it makes sense. Def not the lightest bike out there... but, an amazing ride! 

Now looking to get some knee guards, and elbow guards, coz, I am destined to hit the floor a couple of times :D 

I just replaced the front tire with an Ardent 2.4, as I don't think the Forekasters are good for the dry Tygerberg trails in the summer. I'm keeping the Forekaster 2.35 on the back for now.

I will also probably be getting a shorter stem on there, and some raised bars. It might affect the climbing a bit, but, as it is now, climbs like a mountain goat!!! Almost all the way up Majik, ALL the way :) I spun out :( Maybe next time!

I saw one today and yeah its pretty bust up front. It doesnt look bad though, just lots of levers all over the place.

Yeah, purdy busy, but, neat. Doesn't look bad.

Agreed people should ride whatever they want to but bike shops should be dissuaded from selling skittish xc weapons to average Joe public.

Neh?

Thats like the exact opposite of the Spaz-WorksTM marketing scheme.

Wrong thread?  :ph34r:

Agree with tester about the twin lock not allowing individual adjustment of front and rear suspension. I also like to leave my fork very plush and stiffen up the rear for pedalling sections of flat trail and for climbing.

Also, speccing a 34-24 chainring set with 11-42 rear cassette in a 2x11 setup gives crazy low gearing. 38-28 would be much better, giving same low gear as 24 front with 36 rear but much more speed at the top end.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Agree with tester about the twin lock not allowing individual adjustment of front and rear suspension. I also like to leave my fork very plush and stiffen up the rear for pedalling sections of flat trail and for climbing.

Also, speccing a 34-24 chainring set with 11-42 rear cassette in a 2x11 setup gives crazy low gearing. 38-28 would be much better, giving same low gear as 24 front with 36 rear but much more speed at the top end.

Fully agree

• 7 months later...

Late reply to this post...

For someone that doesn't know much about the specing of a chainring or the cassette part can someone please explain the above. I get the whole 2 x 11 part but admittedly I'm ignorant about the rest.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...