Riders to test themselves in two-stage Paarl race

News bot

At R2500 a rider expect to get only the big corporates entering the event. Yes the swag looks nice, but I'm sure most of us have a nice pair of sunnies and a decent jacket somewhere.

Origin of trails is like more than half the price and last year I did it for the first time and wish I had more time to eat. I don't have the time for 3 day events nor the funds. So affordable 2 day stage races are very welcomed.so come on knock that price down

so come on knock that price down

Entries already closed...

I am very curious as to how well this will work. They are obviously not trying to attract the masses, more a corporate CEO type event. ASG also do the Winelands Encounter (and a few others up north) which is a similarly "priced & specced" event so I gather they have a clear strategy in mind.

Did the event 2 years ago and Day 2 again this year on invitation. Was  a well organised & enjoyable day out last time I did it. Would I pay 2,5K for 2 days, no, but then I'm also not the target market.

my elbow is broken so I'm out for the rest of the year but do hope there are more affordable 2 day stage races in the future. I really think there can be more.Affordable

wow guy's. ......so the message in the marketing blurb is very strong 're dumbing down the route selection and then dumbing down the st where they will be going through because "many of the rider's " from last year found the st too tough. .....now what about those locals who ride those trails throughout the year!

Comments re price, if the race has an asg tag you can expect to pay lots more for the entry

wow guy's. ......so the message in the marketing blurb is very strong 're dumbing down the route selection and then dumbing down the st where they will be going through because "many of the rider's " from last year found the st too tough. .....now what about those locals who ride those trails throughout the year!

Comments re price, if the race has an asg tag you can expect to pay lots more for the entry

Yeah, problem is people think mountain biking is riding on farms through vineyards.

“There is great diversity such as olive orchards, cattle farms, lucerne fields and nuts,” said Herbst.

Wtf, is that even a selling point? :eek:  :wacko:  :huh:

Entries already closed...

I am very curious as to how well this will work. They are obviously not trying to attract the masses, more a corporate CEO type event. ASG also do the Winelands Encounter (and a few others up north) which is a similarly "priced & specced" event so I gather they have a clear strategy in mind.

Did the event 2 years ago and Day 2 again this year on invitation. Was  a well organised & enjoyable day out last time I did it. Would I pay 2,5K for 2 days, no, but then I'm also not the target market.

I fully agree with this sentiment, and its not at all a bad ploy to focus your event on the Corporate types out there, and to keep it small, which I think keeping it small is more a function of price than doing so by design. It is also a useful tool for ASG to "add value" by supplying merchandise from their range of cycling apparel.

If my broker / banker / employer / dad is paying, I'd probably ride it as well, but for R5 000 for 2 people, I can think of way more ways to have fun, on and off the bike, for a weekend (when its my own money).

paid ourselves

Looking forward to your feedback then. I'm really interested to see if higher end 'boutique' events are sustainable (outside of the ACE of course).