Bike Check: Morewood Zula LT prototype

Nick

After a bit of time lost in the wilderness, Morewood Bikes is back. The first new model they will be releasing is the Zula LT. The original Zula was a trail capable marathon racer which many riders ended up riding as a local trail bike. The new Zula LT keeps the 27.5" wheel platform but comes with more travel and a greater focus on trail riding. We chatted to Sam Bull at Crank Chaos about the prototype Zula LT.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

68° head angle with a 71° seat tube angle on a 130mm frame.

Seeing as they are in the testing phase, they should rather drop the head angle and steepen the seat angle.

We'll probably see a production version of this bike somewhere in 2018.

I like the idea of this bike. I think you are spot on re the seat tube angle. i'd like to see it at 140mm rear, 150mm fork, 67 degree HTA and 75 STA. If its not available in an XL then I'm not interested either.

I think the Cane Creek is a bit of an odd choice.

If they wanted a specific tune out of the shock, why not go with a metric sized RS Deluxe/Super Deluxe that has less adjustment than the CC? You thereby minimise the risk of the customer bodging the tune you need to get decent performance from a single pivot.

Oh and Morewood Bikes, if you need someone to put in some laps on a prototype in European conditions, I'll send you my shipping details. :thumbup:

If they wanted a specific tune out of the shock, why not go with a metric sized RS Deluxe/Super Deluxe that has less adjustment than the CC? You thereby minimise the risk of the customer bodging the tune you need to get decent performance from a single pivot.

Oh and Morewood Bikes, if you need someone to put in some laps on a prototype in European conditions, I'll send you my shipping details. :thumbup:

They will be using the C-Quent, which is the 'user friendly' version of the Inline. Hopefully it will be more reliable. 

They will be using the C-Quent, which is the 'user friendly' version of the Inline. Hopefully it will be more reliable. 

True, but it's still a more "involving" shock than what is found with most of RS and FOX's offerings.

Let's all wait and see for the launch in 2018.

I like the idea of this bike. I think you are spot on re the seat tube angle. i'd like to see it at 140mm rear, 150mm fork, 67 degree HTA and 75 STA. If its not available in an XL then I'm not interested either.

ccs-62657-0-32594200-1478416826.jpg

I'm assuming a 130mm rear squish means using a shock which has an i2i between 180 and 190mm. If this is true considering the amount of available room around the swingarm's shock mounting point. A 185mm i2i trunion mounted rear metric shock could squeez up to 150mm of rear travel out of this frame.

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/stories/2016/04/07/full_Metric_Shock_Sizing_711223.jpg

If they slapped the Shova name on this thing I would have had my pitchfork sharpened already.

Lets assume the Zula LT is a tribute to its predecessor with a playful twist.

comments RE geo, and blah blah aside, the Zula LT frame does look rather sexy still!

This is super tempting to me , BUT and this is A big BUT 

I feel manufactures are going to fu*k us with boost in a few years trying to force everyone onto it and then what.

Maybe I'm being paranoid , but I don't want to but i bike like this ( I like the simplicity,especially the threaded BB) and then get screwed cause no one makes boost hubs anymore.

comments RE geo, and blah blah aside, the Zula LT frame does look rather sexy still!

After their hiatus Morewood could make a frame out of solid lead and I'd still think its pretty.

This is super tempting to me , BUT and this is A big BUT 

I feel manufactures are going to fu*k us with boost in a few years trying to force everyone onto it and then what.

Maybe I'm being paranoid , but I don't want to but i bike like this ( I like the simplicity,especially the threaded BB) and then get screwed cause no one makes boost hubs anymore.

huh? This isn't boost...