Post Office International parcels - Go slow??

The Guy in Pink

I ordered a fork from Singapore on the 7th April.  It arrived in SA on the 21st April, and then moved onto Cape Mail on the 6th May.  It's been there since and no updates.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I'm now not sure what to do.  How long have people waited for parcels once in the country?

I had two packages stuck at CapeMail Hub between 4-6 weeks. Received the first one two weeks ago, and the other one yesterday. On the plus side, I ordered through Aliexpress, and because it was "stuck in transit" for more than 60 days I got a full refund on both.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered some bits and pieces not available here from Bike24 on 30 May, choosing Post office delivery.

Received the parcel this morning.

10 days, door to door.

My local post office has now taken to SMS'ing me to collect instead of putting a slip in my post box!

On the plus side, with everyone's loss of confidence in the SAPO and international shipping, less people are ordering and I'm actually getting my small parcels in 4-5 weeks again!

Sent a package with Post Office SpeedServices earlier this year.

Six weeks later the recipient still did not have the goods.

Package returned to my post Office, where I collected it using the tracking number.  FIVE WEEKS later I got the slip in my mail to collect the package ....

My local post office has now taken to SMS'ing me to collect instead of putting a slip in my post box!

I ordered a few items off AliExpress recently and ended up collecting 2 of the parcels from my local post office 3 weeks before the slips arrived at my house! Local post office phoned me to say my parcel had arrived.

Chatted to the Postmaster about the process, it's screwed. Basically when a parcel arrives at your local post office they write out a slip and post it to you...in my case that means the slip goes from the post office 1km away from my house to a central depot 25km away and then disappears in the black hole known as SA postal service..

Luckily it appears some of the local postmasters are being proactive and implementing SMS or phone call notifications due to the lack of reliability of the postal service ???? crazy, can't make this stuff up!

Edited by NC_lurker

Still waiting for a parcel that hit customs on the 23rd... of June... 2018....

I ordered a few items off AliExpress recently and ended up collecting 2 of the parcels from my local post office 3 weeks before the slips arrived at my house! Local post office phoned me to say my parcel had arrived.

Chatted to the Postmaster about the process, it's screwed. Basically when a parcel arrives at your local post office they write out a slip and post it to you...in my case that means the slip goes from the post office 1km away from my house to a central depot 25km away and then disappears in the black hole known as SA postal service..

Luckily it appears some of the local postmasters are being proactive and implementing SMS or phone call notifications due to the lack of reliability of the postal service crazy, can't make this stuff up!

Yup my wife has a post office close to her shop, they keep all of her slips and then just send her a message to say something has arrived for her.

My local post office call or SMS me when a parcel arrives. I always allow 3 weeks for parcels from EU. Never had a parcel go missing although I did have a delay caused by customs on a few occasions.

I had a huge problem sending a return item via PostNet DHL service! The item was eventually returned to me resulting in a loss to supplier. Returned invoice and paperwork where placed in the wrapper and DHL refused to open wrapper to get the docs at destination to avoid import duties being added. The DHL transit slip had the words " returned item" clearly marked!

• 1 month later...

The SA Post Office app is rather useful, albeit a little bit hit and miss sometimes.

I checked on morning and the app notified me that my one parcel is at the post office and that a notification has been sent to collect, so I went to collect(still haven't received the notification though)

The following package that came in, the post master phoned me and told me to collect, but the app still had it at JHB Incoming.

The speed is definitely improved but the system needs a complete overhual, they are using systems and processes optimised for the 1800's, they are way behind and things can happen so much faster.

The app say "status not available", but looking at 17 track, it's stuck at "completed to clear the border", this is since the 23rd July, the webite says "on route"

The app say "status not available", but looking at 17 track, it's stuck at "completed to clear the border", this is since the 23rd July, the webite says "on route"

maybe pop in at your local post office and ask them to track it ....

Had good luck when my parcels get to Capemail. JIMC however don't pick up phones or respond to emails

• 4 months later...

How do I track a parcel nowadays on the post office site?

On the "Tools"  track my domestic parcel function suddenly there is no option to enter the tracking number  anymore???

Mobile app also no updates on movement....

was this done on purpose (for this time of year) to avoid inquiries?  :rolleyes: