CWC - Not disapointed anymore. Warranty claim.

BernardG

Hi all.

So I am in search of an opinion from you guys. I bought some wheels, Shimano RS81 C24 wheels, in June 2016 (so basically 5 months ago). I have not been riding much and put around 1,500 km on them. On a recent ride I noticed some damage around the nipples on the rim (see the pictures) that seems to have been caused by corrosion or the carbon bubbling. I was naturally upset about this as I have never seen something like this and I am normally careful with my things. I took it back to CWC for a warranty claim but they said it's normal wear and tear and thus not a warranty claim. I went back again and they said they will come back to me, but I have not hear anything again. (I even went back for a 3rd time).

I understand damage like this could occur after a few years, but I find it extreme to happen in such a short period of time. I have used multiple Mavic and other Shimano wheels with no problem over several years. I also had a google to see if there is more people with this issue and came to a BikeRadar forum where I guy had the same problem on a C24 DA wheel (basically the same rim, just a different hub) and his was replaced, as well as a person's commenting on the forum. So I find it reasonable to claim under warranty. [The forum - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13064084]

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions as I am trying to understand if I am reasonable or not. This is not to slander CWC at all, just to understand if I have a warranty claim that they aren't helping me with.

Note: I have had great experiences with CWC in the past, hence my disappointment in how the matter is dealt with this time. I am just asking an opinion here, not trying to offend.

Thanks

[update - For those joining later. This was a to and from, ultimately a warranty claim and replacement done by CWC. They apologized to me and publicly here, so all is good in the world again.]

post-23028-0-47732700-1478851246_thumb.jpg

post-23028-0-36569700-1478851247_thumb.jpg

Edited by BernardG

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think your claim is more than reasonable. First reaction would be to think that only a moron would say that's "normal wear and tear" especially on a high end set of wheels, implying that it's designed to wear like that. 

It's possible that it's only aesthetic, but CWC would need to clarify this and liaise with Shimano either directly or with the local agents Cool Heat, if they brought the wheels in via them. 

I'd insist on them resolving this, either by speaking to Chris Willemse directly or Shimano themselves.

who did you speak to at cwc? sometimes you need to take your issues to the main man before coming on here .( just putting it out there - if you not happy then talk to someone else sometimes helps)

on a side note that's pretty nasty for shimano wheels - if they are that old and have been  taken care of ..

ive seen older cheap chinawese wheels with less whack on them that have been treated a lot worse . :mellow:

Edited by bikebloke

who did you speak to at cwc? sometimes you need to take your issues to the main man before coming on here .( just putting it out there - if you not happy then talk to someone else sometimes helps)

on a side note that's pretty nasty for shimano wheels - if they are that old and have been  taken care of ..

ive seen older cheap chinawese wheels with less whack on them that have been treated a lot worse . :mellow:

I understand that bikebloke. Hence me going back there more than once and trying to gage with them, they even took photo's. Not as if I can just march in there and make demands, your shop floor is where the normal guy comes in (like me) and they took it to the main man. 

if it was me I would take this post down and call up and speak nice to oom chris personally and if he cant help ask him to refer you to someone who can make a decision at cool heat

oom chris is a really good guy but if he says its no then only shimano (cool heat)can decide

I don't think you are helping your case by posting this yet

just my 2 cents

Where in Cape Town do you live? The alloy nipples in the higher end wheelsets corrode so easily. If you stay near the coast and the bike has been standing mostly, as you claim, then it might be possible that it is just wear and tear, so to speak.

But ja, that's just the flip side of the coin.

EDIT: Just keep in mind, this might not be Coolheat's problem. If the wheels were imported by CWC, they have to honor the warranty, not Coolheat. Perhaps that's why they are trying to chase you away.

Edited by Jetstar500

Cool

if it was me I would take this post down and call up and speak nice to oom chris personally and if he cant help ask him to refer you to someone who can make a decision at cool heat

oom chris is a really good guy but if he says its no then only shimano (cool heat)can decide

just my 2 cents

Appreciate the input. Will do that then. Let me try again. As I said in the past I have had great service from them. 

Cool

Appreciate the input. Will do that then. Let me try again. As I said in the past I have had great service from them. 

Not sure how to take it down. My fail now. But seem there is validity in claiming, I have tried to engage with Coolheat, but doesn't seem to have been supplied by them.

just my 2 cents

I disagree.

So many times on here someone comes to complain only to hit a backlash of criticism for not making enough effort with the shop concerned.  In this case the OP has stated that he has tried, in person, on numerous occasions to resolve the issue with CWC and they have failed to come to the party.  I'd say that writing on here now in this situation is perfectly justifiable. 

Not sure how to take it down. My fail now. But seem there is validity in claiming, I have tried to engage with Coolheat, but doesn't seem to have been supplied by them.

This would seem to be the issue then.  For them to warranty the wheels would mean forking out for a new set as opposed to sending them to Cool Heat.  They're not the middle man as an LBS normally is, they are the man.  Bypassing Cool Heat to get maximum profits is going to bite you in the ass every now and then, and this is one of those situations.

I'd press them for a new set or your money back.

Happy Friday!  Yay!   :clap:

Sheesh that would really tick me off!! After spending hard earned money on any item, use it fairly little and have it look like this just seems wrong.

I find 2 things odd:

1) I have done a return with CWC and they replaced the item immediately, keep in mind it was Shimano SPD's so not the most expensive item to replace.

2) CWC is fairly active on TheHub, where are they?

@Jetstar:

What effect would it have if the bike would be used more often as I note various spokes have the same marks and not just one or two.

Hi Bernard,

You've stated your case well and have not dissed the shop. Good job!

These types of concerns can go to and fro. If I were you I would not be concerned about having posted here, as CWC are quite active within the community and they are more than fair with the way they handle situations, because of the history they have built up here. If there is validity to what they are suggesting they will defend it in a sensible manner and if there's a discrepancy they will do the right thing. Either way you will get the response you require so that you no longer have to keep wondering!

Hope this works out for you the way you are hoping!

just my 2 cents

Since you seem to be 'tight' with Oom Chris why don't you facilitate and help him get it solved then?

Like the chap says he can't just go in and demand to speak to the 'main man' .... 

just my 2 cents

Why?