Video: Tips to keep your suspension fork running smoothly

News bot

The two main tips in the video have helped keep my FIT4 Float 32 running smooth for the last 12 months. Question though, where can I get a bag full of nylon crush washers locally? That's the only thing keeping me from whipping my lowers off every other month.

The two main tips in the video have helped keep my FIT4 Float 32 running smooth for the last 12 months. Question though, where can I get a bag full of nylon crush washers locally? That's the only thing keeping me from whipping my lowers off every other month.

If you use a torque wrench and do not overtighten the crush washers they can be re-fitted several times without leaking.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yea sure we all have tons of money to take our bikes to a bike shop to pull the lowers off and have a quick sorting.

Steve you legend.Arguably SA's first pro Mtbiker riding for Orange. The things he could do on a bike

glad you said that, I didn't want to give my age away :)

wash your own bike people, its part of being a bicyclist. take pride.

Yea sure we all have tons of money to take our bikes to a bike shop to pull the lowers off and have a quick sorting.

Do you take your bike to the LBS when you need to take your wheel off? Just take the lowers off yourself, it's so straight forward.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

glad you said that, I didn't want to give my age away :)

wash your own bike people, its part of being a bicyclist. take pride.

No choice here! But I enjoy it :-)

Replacing your stanchions because you did not maintain you fork, will cost you way more!

It really is an easy job but you do need a basic workshop with bike stand or soft jawed vice to hold the fork, a drip tray/bucket to catch the oil, a soft mallet and on some forks a long 10mm socket so as not to damage the damper shaft. 50ml syringe for measuring and inserting oil is useful too.

You do not really need the special tools you see in factory manuals and videos for servicing lowers and seating new seals - you can make a plan with ordinary tools and still do the job perfectly.

I have done a fork service without having to use a stand...so not really essential....the trick is to keep everything clean whilst doing so, a stand prevents you putting the crown assembly down in dirt...

I use a kitty litter tray (about R50 at PNP) as a drip tray a syringe is no more than R50 at dischem and basic tooling - multi tool, 10mm socket/spanner most people should have already. The new dust wipers can be fitted using finger pressure and no special tooling...

Steve you legend.Arguably SA's first pro Mtbiker riding for Orange. The things he could do on a bike

And what i nice guy

It really is an easy job but you do need a basic workshop with bike stand or soft jawed vice to hold the fork, a drip tray/bucket to catch the oil, a soft mallet and on some forks a long 10mm socket so as not to damage the damper shaft. 50ml syringe for measuring and inserting oil is useful too.

You do not really need the special tools you see in factory manuals and videos for servicing lowers and seating new seals - you can make a plan with ordinary tools and still do the job perfectly.

Anywhere to get a basic crash course in doing it (without damaging the fork)? Always been too scared to give it a go... Fox Kashima CTD 120mm on my bike (2015 I think).