Tour de France legends to ride in Absa Cape Epic

News bot

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hincapie...does he escape the 'no dopers at Epic' window? 

Just, only just. He accepted his ban late 2012, while the Cape Epic instituted the lifetime ban as of Jan 2013. 

Self Confessed doper.... Surely this is a slight breech of their zero doping policy unless...........

The new owners from Iron Man have a more lenient disposition towards admitted dope cheats? 

he confessed but was not sanctioned by UCI 

Hey.. this is pretty cool.

If I recall..Cuddles rode the prologue at last year's Swiss epic as a guest for the day.. he set the fastest time.

Edited by Gen

he confessed but was not sanctioned by UCI 

As I recall the story went like this:

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

We are the FBI and this is now a Federal Investigation. Did you dope?

Yes . . . .

edit: shame because I always liked Big George.

Edited by Bonus

If I recall..Cuddles rode the prologue at last year's Swiss epic as a guest for the day.. he set the fastest time.

a Ferrari engine will make you fast....

As I recall the story went like this:

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

We are the FBI and this is now a Federal Investigation. Did you dope?

Yes . . . .

edit: shame because I always liked Big George.

Yip.. that was pretty much it.[emoji23] [emoji23]

And yip I also liked him..

Edited by Gen

On October 10, 2012, Hincapie released a statement on his website acknowledging the use of performance-enhancing drugs and confirming that he had been approached by US Federal Investigators and USADA with regard to his experiences with doping.[3] Later that day a statement was released confirming his acceptance of a six-month ban from September 1, 2012, ending on March 1, 2013, along with a stripping of all race results between May 31, 2004, and July 31, 2006.[4]

was about to say the same!! all about status i guess

On October 10, 2012, Hincapie released a statement on his website acknowledging the use of performance-enhancing drugs and confirming that he had been approached by US Federal Investigators and USADA with regard to his experiences with doping.[3] Later that day a statement was released confirming his acceptance of a six-month ban from September 1, 2012, ending on March 1, 2013, along with a stripping of all race results between May 31, 2004, and July 31, 2006.[4]

This does put the Epic in a tight spot:

"Any athlete (professional or amateur) under sanction by their federation or national anti-doping authority (NADA) after 31 December 2012, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager."