What size road bike?

Simon123

I've always been a mountain biker, and that is easy as bikes are sized like underpants in S, M, L etc.

But after hurting like a little bitch on the Argus this year I am going to buy a secondhand road bike for next year and also do some milage over the festive season.

BUT I have no idea what sizing I need, it's all in cm and whilst I am sure I can drop the seat or raise it etc, I'd prefer to get as close to possible to the "right" size.

I am 1,92m tall and from the floor to my crotch is 900mm.    I prefer not being stretched out too much, (doubt will really use the drop bar part except in crazy descents.

Any advice is appreciated.

Go get measured at your LBS. I just put my details in 1 of these calculators and it says I should ride a 61cm, but that would be way too big for me. I ride a 56

Thanks everyone.

I used a calculator and it said 61cm too, but after trying a 61cm, it felt like a gate between my legs.

Hence wondering if "real world" sizing was better advice.

The sizing will also differ if you are going for a compact frame. They are generally a smaller than traditional frames

Judging by your inseam, a 58 will suit you. Frames are measured from centre of top tube to the centre of the bb.

A compact frame will have a downward sloping top tube, meaning the size will measure smaller than a standard frame with a horizontal top tube.

A an example, a size 58 is considered XL, but a compact frame may measure 56 for a XL.

My experience is that top tube length matters more than the seat tube (which is usually what the manufacturers specify as "frame size". 

In my simplified understanding this is because it is better to raise the seatpost (and less disruptive to the overall geometry) than it is to extend the reach of the frame (e.g. seat fore/aft position or adjusting stem length). Adjustments to the "reach" in this manner also have potential handling/power implications.

I'm 181cm tall and have an inseam measurement of 880mm - my frame size is a Pinarello 53cm frame (I have long legs and short arms/torso perhaps). Also I'm riding with a 130mm stem (which was intentional) to enhance my position. My previous bike in a similar geometry was a 54cm with a 90mm stem and this is a significant improvement. Most comfortable bike I've ever owned by far. Unfortunately I only found "my" fit by riding a larger frame and then adjusting from there.

Edited by 100Tours

For what it's worth the sizing technique (for a slightly aggressive position) that works for me is this:

- position the saddle so that the "nose" is 2-3cm behind the centre of the crank

- place your tricep against the nose of the saddle

- make a right angle with your elbow (forearm parallel to ground)

- if your longest finger is now halfway down the stem then sizing is spot on; if you can't find a stem where this is achievable then the bike is not your size.

I am 194cm tall ,Inseam 92cm .I ride a 62 cm pinarello compact frame and 60 cm BMC racing  road bike  .If you can find a 60cm BMC grandfondo ,buy it ! This is a good frame and not so aggressive geometry .It will fit you perfectly .hubmarket-84560-0-12036400-1478461171_me

Edited by Blitzer

compact?  what is this wizardry you speak of?

My pinarello 62cm is a compact frame and BMC 60cm teammaschine is a normal frame .They are very much the same size except for small geometry differences