L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

Hey guys, I was behind the Vertical Spaces recon of the LÉtape route - we went thru in excess of 100l of liquid and several dozen muffins,donuts.

With the wind that's been pretty consistent out here lately, I'd suggest the at a back up vehicle and refreshments of sorts would be more than handy. Sure, the route is not as difficult as it could be, but with wind and heat thrown in, without back up, it's going to be a sufferfest, and bare in mind that there'll be no race organizer to lame for it(tic)

Will spread the word on our club Facebook page 'Vertical Spaces', and see if we can get some guys to join the party - would need start time confirmed and who's captaining the ride. I gather from WCCC

Will hook up as well

We are trying to organize a back up vehicle, but not looking good at this stage.

Plan is to start 5 - 5:15am from Fern Hill.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you are taking part in the event?

Would it not be good practice to train in these conditions, or is it cooler at that time of the year? 6 weeks, and what's left of this week, to go.

April will be much cooler in the Midlands. We've just been having some really HOT days recently, the humidity is just a killer and being out after 9am is a serious challenge.

Where did you see this Tom ?

I just checked Windguru and Accuweather and both showing it to be a "decent" day.

When it comes to getting an accurate temperature forecast that takes into account humidity, etc., I have been following Accuweather's RealFeel® index. It gives a much better idea of what the conditions will really feel like out there in the sun.

Saturday's RealFeel® index is 36°
And the Max UV Index is 9 (very high)

Guys, take a look at Sunday's weather. 

Much better conditions: cool, overcast with maybe a bit of rain.

Perfect riding conditions in my book.

Guys, take a look at Sunday's weather. 

Much better conditions: cool, overcast with maybe a bit of rain.

Perfect riding conditions in my book.

I will defintely take your advice on this one. Sunday does look like a much better option.

My lovely wife is in China over the weekend and I am at a loose end. The Midkands are just down the N3 from me and I am tempted.......

How competitive (polite word for fast) is thia trial run likely to be?

My wife moved her trip to next week so I am not free as I thought that I would be this weekend and so I cannot come down from Jo'burg. I will have to hit Suikerbosrand instead.

However, if you make it next week ...... :thumbup:

Ok so its confirmed that we will be riding on Sunday i/o Saturday due to the weather.

5am from Fern Hill Hotel.

Be sure to pack your gumboots. Looks like howick is expecting about 23mm of rain on Sunday. :)

http://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/KwaZulu-Natal/Howick/

I've checked 5 different weather sites. Your one is the most extreme in terms of the amount of rain expected. But yes, the general consensus across all of them is that it's going to be raining to some degree on Sunday.

Vivek and everyone else, what do you want to do? Cancel this weekend and push out to next weekend?

I'll probably still drive up on Sunday if there's a chance of finding ridable conditions (I don't mind a bit of rain). DBN is definitely out so my only chance is to go inland.

All the best, Grant, it's going to be seriously hot. Do you have a support vehicle for all the water you'll need (and in case someone goes into distress)?