L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom..still alive and kicking.

Had a great ride. Head wind up to Notties then from the side from Rosetta to Mooi River. Tail wind from Mooi River made it a fast finish. Because of the wind heat was not to much of a problem.

The farm stall just before Glengary is perfect as a water stop...opens at 8 everyday except Sunday when it opens at 10.

Stunning route.

Road from Rosetta to Glengary is diabolical...plenty of potholes. This is going to be a problem in the race.

Thanks to Jackie, Mark and Michael for joining us at the start. Good to meet some fellow hubbers.

Also a big thumbs up to Spoke101...he took some long turns in the front.

Edited by Grantc

Tom..still alive and kicking.

Had a great ride. Head wind up to Notties then from the side from Rosetta to Mooi River. Tail wind from Mooi River made it a fast finish. Because of the wind heat was not to much of a problem.

The farm stall just before Glengary is perfect as a water stop...opens at 8 everyday except Sunday when it opens at 10.

Stunning route.

Road from Rosetta to Glengary is diabolical...plenty of potholes. This is going to be a problem in the race.

Thanks to Jackie, Mark and Michael for joining us at the start. Good to meet some fellow hubbers.

Also a big thumbs up to Spoke101...he took some long turns in the front.

Well done guys.

• 2 weeks later...

We're playing host to a couple Giant Toti/Bluff Meats lads on the 18th March, on a recon of the leTape route.

Sure, the mere mention of the Bluff Meats squad cause arrhythmia in some of us, but I've been assured that we're doing a ride, not race, by Deno VH himself.

We're expecting in excess of 20 bikes, so more than enough wheels to mark and a back up vehicle/2.

I imagine that we will, at some point, split into 2 bunches, but this will be after the 75km's /cause the route is reasonably forgiving(except for the 'Kamberg look out' climb, 45k's out) until this point.

There is an event created on the Vertical Spaces FB page. 

Please indicate, on the page, if you're coming, so that we can cater appropriately.

• 2 weeks later...

Just entered (or rather paid)... my team mates still need to enter, and we still need to finalise our team lineup - wannabe racing team and a more social-have-fun-on-the-bike team.

Teams finalized.. choo choo!!  

My training has taken a serious knock.. I was a bit ill and then the hockey started again..it has taken so much of my time during the week and weekends, not just the coaching but my son's HP training..we are up and down 6 days a week.. I train with the boys while I coach just to keep the cardio going... But I am very miffed at the moment.. and honestly at night I am just exhausted.

Hoping to at least get 1 long ride in this weekend.. and 2 IDT sessions.

Well first IDT done for the week..no more waiting for free time..just do it. I am just very thankful I did get those long slow rides in when I did..

Gosh that was tough.. man..I must just suck it up.. if it means suffering on the hated IDT 8 o'clock at night so be it.

Edited by Gen

Hey.. you think he'll ride at the back with me, I have been having gear changing issues, would like some tips[emoji6] ad10b7c0f003930fd7f01b866e81bf62.jpg

It's actually rather cool that he is coming out.

Edited by Gen

Beat me to the cut-n-paste from the Cycle Events newsletter... 

Less than a month remains till the race gun goes off for South Africa’s very first L’Étape cycling challenge, so make sure you enter.

Fast facts:
We’re pleased to announce 2010 Tour de France winner Andy Schleck is now L’Étape South Africa’s official ambassador. As such, cyclists will have the opportunity to test their mettle against this superstar.

Participants will also be riding against a number of South African cycling 
heavyweights, including Doug Ryder (Team Dimension Data Principal).

The overall male and female winners will receive an all-expenses paid trip to compete in the 2017 L’Étape du Tour in France.

If you enter now, you stand a chance to win a limited edition L’Étape cycling jersey.
Entries close 19 March and spaces are highly limited, so enter now to avoid the disappointment of missing out.

Do you have what it takes to ride like a Tour legend?

I like the bit about space being highly limited... just over 20% full (of their limit of 5000).

And only 7 Elite ladies entered.

I like the bit about space being highly limited... just over 20% full (of their limit of 5000).

And only 7 Elite ladies entered.

Equal prize money issue?