L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

To eloborate, the insurance is liability and not to claim for any injuries sustained while riding.

Assume a participant causes a crash, then the event insurance is supposed to protect that person against claims from anyone else injured as a result of the crash.

Or another example - assume someone from outside the event is injured which was caused by an organiser/marshal/participant's actions, then that liability insurance is supposed to take care of their claim.

Thanks for (hugely important) clarification. 

My mind is made up.

Question is, will be successful in claiming refunds.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the a

They advertised full road closures when I entered.. it's why I entered.[emoji53]

Starting to think of should just go play in the Howick trails instead.

I am thinking of taking the knock and doing Suikerbosrand rather.

All of the a

I am thinking of taking the knock and doing Suikerbosrand rather.

I am not an experienced road rider, the full road closures and of course the route really appealed to me.. and now without road closures and a dodgy road surface I am thinking that if I am going to fall I would rather do it on the Howick trails or at Karloof and not on the tar. [emoji6] Edited by Gen

I am not an experienced road rider, the full road closures and of course the route really appealed to me.. and now without road closures and a dodgy road surface I am thinking that if I am going to fall I would rather do it on the Howick trails or at Karloof and not on the tar. [emoji6]

Exactly. Mostly one recovers from MTB accidents.

Anyone know of the road surface has been fixed?

On their Facebook page they say they have been promised by the authorities that it will be done by 31 March.  Cutting it fine, but I presume that if it is not 100% done, most of it will be and it will be nice, new tar too!

Exactly. Mostly one recovers from MTB accidents.

Now if a end up in a big bunch and I can't see what's coming up the road how can I try avoid it.. I can't go over the white line cause a car may knock me over..nee hell this is making me very uneasy.. and I don't know how it will work if I ride in bubble wrap.

On their Facebook page they say they have been promised by the authorities that it will be done by 31 March. Cutting it fine, but I presume that if it is not 100% done, most of it will be and it will be nice, new tar too!

Mmmm.. I am not feeling to good about their word or that of the authorities.

Now if a end up in a big bunch and I can't see what's coming up the road how can I try avoid it.. I can't go over the white line cause a car may knock me over..nee hell this is making me very uneasy.. and I don't know how it will work if I ride in bubble wrap.

that's why mtb bunny hopping skills are imperative to road riding in SA.

Will see what happens this time next week.

Hopefully a lot will be resolved bythen, and I can still ride my bike with some like-minded people in a beautiful part of the country.

Shees.. these things should've been sorted out long ago..

Well I have my accommodation paid for..and have the training more of less done (enough to finish the event at least).. all I need to know is if I have to leave the road bike at home and only go play on the dirt.[emoji23] [emoji23]

A weekend away will do us all really good..and I have never ridden Howick or Karloof.[emoji6]

As a licensed rider I'm out if they don't sort this mess out.

If that happens, I'll plan my own big ride out in the Valley of Thousand Hills or similar.

Others in a similar situation as me who still want a nice epic day out, please join me!

And the roads are very quiete down there, few cars. So those folks who don't want to race on a busy & dodgy road, you're welcome too.