L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

Can anyone help a guy out who doesnt know KZN well:

Where could my mate at lets say the 90-120km mark stand to watch the race and possible give me with a fresh water bottle or two :)

Possibly Mooi River?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone help a guy out who doesnt know KZN well:

Where could my mate at lets say the 90-120km mark stand to watch the race and possible give me with a fresh water bottle or two :)

120 km would put you somewhere close to Mooi River. 110 km would have you on quite a quiet district road we call the Giants Castle road. There is a road that goes from the Giants road to Hidcote and the highway , so this could be a good spot. ( at the bottom of a long downhill section ). Mooi River town could be a good option too. Both of these locations would give you access to the N3 and avoid cyclists involved in the event.

I have no skin in the game, as i am not doing the race. But, I have been watching the thread with keen interest since its inception, following the investment of time, excitement effort and training - most notably Gen's but others too. Its a real pity that what is ultimately being delivered does not match the advertised hype. Piss poor on the organizer's part imho.

Then I suggest you keep an eye on the 2nd-3rd April with all the feedback. I'm certain there will be quite a bit, me included. Let's hope it's +ve feedback! 

Are you going to ride a road bike in the valley?

Yip it will be a road ride, all on tar. There's some genuine TDF-level terrain there. Terrain that honours the L'Etape ethos ("ride a stage of the Tour de France") that this Midlands route simply can't.

Here's a recent ride I did, crossing the Valley from the Hillcrest area up into the Noodsberg range (1000m elevation) and then down to Ballito and back to DBN:

https://www.relive.cc/view/895624487

I'm now beginning to think that this whole L'Étape thing is a huge scam.

The organizers seem to have absconded and are not answering any queries.

Scant communication seems to be he order of the day.

Feeling annoyed.

Feeling annoyed.

Dare I say "legal action may be required"

At R990/R950 per person/team multiplied by the number of paid up entries, these guys have generated at least 1 bar in income. 

Then I suggest you keep an eye on the 2nd-3rd April with all the feedback. I'm certain there will be quite a bit, me included. Let's hope it's +ve feedback! 

+1

That's what I wrote in the CTCT thread, after wishing everyone well. Was hoping for +ve feedback, but didn't expect the event cancellation.

Dare I say "legal action may be required"

At R990/R950 per person/team multiplied by the number of paid up entries, these guys have generated at least 1 bar in income. 

I would think so.

What is it that they promised initially, that they are now not delivering on?

I will submit a complaint to ASA.

I would think so.

What is it that they promised initially, that they are now not delivering on?

I will submit a complaint to ASA.

Athletics South Africa :oops: ? 

Edited by mecheng89

Feeling annoyed.

I think we all have to just take a step back here, and calm down. There is absolutely nothing we, as the participants can do until they (CSA, ASO, WTF) have made their final decision. I'm sure they are being flooded with complaint emails and calls, but frankly I'm not sure whether they have any answers to give. 

Let's quit with the bashing, pull up a chair, do the final prep for the race, focus on the taper (or panic training?).

From previous posts about the road closures, it makes sense that complete road closure will not happen, so let's get it out of our heads. I hope for heaven's sake that the licensed participants will be given immunity, else that'll really cause a stir. 

Yip it will be a road ride, all on tar. There's some genuine TDF-level terrain there. Terrain that honours the L'Etape ethos ("ride a stage of the Tour de France") that this Midlands route simply can't.

Here's a recent ride I did, crossing the Valley from the Hillcrest area up into the Noodsberg range (1000m elevation) and then down to Ballito and back to DBN:

https://www.relive.cc/view/895624487

Tom this looks like a super ride.  Maybe we can organise it one day between a few clubs, backup vehicle etc etc etc.  Each person contribute to costs and then contribute another amount to a charity.  Will work out costing much less than an "official" event and this ride will really be an adventure

No, the Advertising Standard Authority, if they advertised something that they are not delivering on, you can lodge a complaint with them.

http://www.asasa.org.za/complaints/

They are pretty jacked up and take this nonsense seriously.

Great. Draft the email so long :thumbup: .

The race technically hasn't happened yet, so technically nothing has been taken away. Time is running out. I wish them the best, if they know what's good for their event

Great. Draft the email so long :thumbup: .

The race technically hasn't happened yet, so technically nothing has been taken away. Time is running out. I wish them the best, if they know what's good for their event

Technically the event doesn't need to first take place for them to be taken to the ASA... Technically.

http://media.giphy.com/media/Wt7sru9YSDLP2/giphy.gif