L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

How the wheel turns.

Its worm, actually, but touche!

In fairness, I think this is different.  Argus was a clusterf$#% perfect storm of horrendous events on the day. 

This bunch, on the other hand, have been proper rubbish, and WAY more deserving of the level of ire that you unloaded on the Argus organizers.  For example, they only cancel AFTER online entries close and every last cent had been collected.  Also, EVERY STEP since the CSA withdrawal was marred by lack of transparency and dismissiveness.  And this from a bunch that has not had ONE successful letape event.  I am curious to see how the international brand managers deal with it

Edited by PygaSchmyga

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people paid with a credit card? Probably the majority.

Cycle Events collected the money as the online entry service provider, so the correct procedure, w.r.t. credit card refunds is to refund into the card, and from the original merchant.

The email address provided is legit - and I know the person working with that email address. They don't work the weekend, like most of us, so will be addressing this issue from today.

FWIW:

VISA explains it as a way to prevent fraud (ironic, I know). A person uses your card for a purchase, then returns it and insists on cash. You see the transaction and realize this is your purchase, so you dispute it with VISA. In the meanwhile, the shop refunds by cash, thinking it is a legit return /cancelled service, and VISA insist the transaction is return through the card. The shop loses and end up paying out twice. THAT is the REASON credit card transactions are reversed on the card used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many people paid with a credit card? Probably the majority.

Cycle Events collected the money as the online entry service provider, so the correct procedure, w.r.t. credit card refunds is to refund into the card, and from the original merchant.

The email address provided is legit - and I know the person working with that email address. They don't work the weekend, like most of us, so will be addressing this issue from today.

FWIW:

VISA explains it as a way to prevent fraud (ironic, I know). A person uses your card for a purchase, then returns it and insists on cash. You see the transaction and realize this is your purchase, so you dispute it with VISA. In the meanwhile, the shop refunds by cash, thinking it is a legit return /cancelled service, and VISA insist the transaction is return through the card. The shop loses and end up paying out twice. THAT is the REASON credit card transactions are reversed on the card used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pity that person working with that email address lol.. going to be a long day

Not that I will ever claim to be psychic, but as far as a Refund is concerned. Close your eyes, think of how many "holes" could have been plugged by your total expense. Then think how 35K cyclist who entered CTCT must feel when the forfeited their entry fee. Then kiss your money "Goodbye". The precedent has been set by CTCT, followed by Le Tappe. Even more of the similar will grace our presence in future. Sorry mate. Your money is gone. Better to enter established seeding races with a respectable history is what I can suggest. Naturally, cyclist will be wary of niche events in future. (Still, it makes you want to d%nn%r the living daylights out of the guilty). 

CTCT fees go to charity, L'ETape was being run purely for profit.

Big difference.

Cycleevents handle online entries for Tour Durban and Amashova. They not answering their phone this morning.

Looks like a bit of a hospital pass to cycleevents.

After I sent a mail similar to my post, the local head of the race phoned me to say he would allow me to ride on disc brakes.

devian nadasen // business director – marketing services

Ground Floor, Silky Oak House, Ballyoaks Office Park

35 Ballyclare Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg

devian.nadasen@octagon.com

T +27.(0)11.506.4400  //  M 072.395.1349

Maybe mail him to get the same dispensation.

He was genuinely concerned about what I had to say

I hope this guy is equally concerned about responding to people who want to receive refunds?

[edit] FYI: Octagon are the race organizers

Edited by PygaSchmyga

Just the lack of communication is adding fuel to fire from the organisers side.  Not even an apology.  The amount of money and time wasted and organisers (both local and abroad) just expect us to carry on with life.

I think everyone should inundate the following emails with queries (these emails were from the article when L'Etape was announced in Oct 16)  http://www.sabreakingnews.co.za/2016/10/14/tour-de-france-official-event-coming-to-south-african-in-2017/

L’Etape South Africa: info@letapesouthafrica.com

PR contact: Caroline Malan – The PR Machine – caroline@theprmachine.co.za

ASO Project management: lbochet@aso.fr and jarsicault@aso.fr

ASO L’Etape Series press agency: emailho@milletunevagues.com and nguillemart@milletunevagues.com

ASO’s media department: thida@aso.fr and araynaut@aso.fr

Just the lack of communication is adding fuel to fire from the organisers side.  Not even an apology.  The amount of money and time wasted and organisers (both local and abroad) just expect us to carry on with life.

I think everyone should inundate the following emails with queries (these emails were from the article when L'Etape was announced in Oct 16)  http://www.sabreakingnews.co.za/2016/10/14/tour-de-france-official-event-coming-to-south-african-in-2017/

L’Etape South Africa: info@letapesouthafrica.com

PR contact: Caroline Malan – The PR Machine – caroline@theprmachine.co.za

ASO Project management: lbochet@aso.fr and jarsicault@aso.fr

ASO L’Etape Series press agency: emailho@milletunevagues.com and nguillemart@milletunevagues.com

ASO’s media department: thida@aso.fr and araynaut@aso.fr

Pitchforks at dawn!

Good luck to dear Caroline.  Lets see how the PR Machine handles this.  Pain Cave comes to mind

Pitchforks at dawn!

Good luck to dear Caroline.  Lets see how the PR Machine handles this.  Pain Cave comes to mind

Been down that road already, the minute the news came out that CSA has withdrawn the sanctioning - she replied stating I should contact Devian (who I then phoned straight away).

CTCT fees go to charity, L'ETape was being run purely for profit.

Big difference.

Actually no difference that justifies the brazen "No refunds" policy.

Do you really think the CTCT gets 35,000, plus a few extra, entries BECAUSE half of the profits go to charity OR because it is a great day out on the bicycle riding CLOSED roads with refreshment stops on a very scenic route? I'd hazard a guess that a very small percentage of entrants enters because a small percentage of their entrance fee goes to charity?

Any event that takes someone's money and doesn't put that event on and then relies on the T&C to keep the money is morally questionable. I do however understand that this is how the world of events operates.

Been down that road already, the minute the news came out that CSA has withdrawn the sanctioning - she replied stating I should contact Devian (who I then phoned straight away).

And no doubt he told you a load of porky pies or evaded your questions.

Cycleevents handle online entries for Tour Durban and Amashova. They not answering their phone this morning.

Looks like a bit of a hospital pass to cycleevents.

They also do the Maluti Double 90, which is coming up on Saturday.

And no doubt he told you a load of porky pies or evaded your questions.

He said he would call me back - that never happened.

They did however reply to the emails I sent, but with a cut-n-paste style reply.

Actually no difference that justifies the brazen "No refunds" policy.

Do you really think the CTCT gets 35,000, plus a few extra, entries BECAUSE half of the profits go to charity OR because it is a great day out on the bicycle riding CLOSED roads with refreshment stops on a very scenic route? I'd hazard a guess that a very small percentage of entrants enters because a small percentage of their entrance fee goes to charity?

Any event that takes someone's money and doesn't put that event on and then relies on the T&C to keep the money is morally questionable. I do however understand that this is how the world of events operates.

Ja.. but... fek - OK THEN, I agree with THIS point!

Ja.. but... fek - OK THEN, I agree with THIS point!

Just remember, that simply because two different situations might share a common point, does not mean that they are by association the same ;)

Events hiding behind T&C might not be "right" and both CTCT and LeTape seem to have done this to some extent, but that does NOT mean LeTape's cancellation is the same as the CTCT cancellation.

Edited by Patchelicious

Back to Sunday... looks like we have a rather large turnout planned, based on the numbers that have joined the Whatsapp group. Good news for those willing to ride the route and also get to meet each other.

But possibly a nightmare to control - so we will have to split the group, and implement some sort of "responsible" group captains. Groups will have to be setup based on ability and honesty (average speed over a 120+ Km ride is a start).