George to PE, which roads?

patrickza

I've got 2 weeks off in February, and I thought I'd do some more bikepacking. My plan is to fly to George, then cycle up through the garden route all the way to PE. I'll catch either a train or a flight back from there.

Is this route possible? I'm not sure what the rules say about using the N2, and I don't see too many alternatives that will let me stay along the coast.

It has to be on road, as I'll be using my little brompton. Yes I know it's not the ideal choice, but I like it and have cycled from Munich to Vienna on it quite happily. I do try to keep the distances under 50km a day though, I'm in no rush, and there's nobody to race :)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

mostly the N2 has a nice wide shoulder and the road surface is good mostly (how legal it is I don't know (im sure it isn't)but you see folk walking/biking on it)

but .....as they say round Munich

you vil Die !  Ja ! 

the drivers and the trucks dude are way scary over that side and they drive all over the place

a BIG red tail light and set of moped mirrors maybe a plan

good luck :whistling:

Why that road ? I won't do it but then I am a bang gat .

No, but making my way to the R62 and from there to the Jeffriesbay area and the old road to PE via van Stadens pass may work

Make sure you add the old Cape Town road via Natures Valley. The best climbing you will ever have and right through the stunning indigenous forests. You won't get any better.

Also consider the Langkloof route. Not near the coast, but a stunning road along the mountains.

No, but making my way to the R62 and from there to the Jeffriesbay area and the old road to PE via van Stadens pass may work

Eddy, I was more scared on this old road due to no shoulder, tight bends and people looking at the scenery instead of the road. Soon made my way onto the main road and felt much safer.

Just my experience. Choose your poison I suppose.

Edited by Sepia

Make sure you add the old Cape Town road via Natures Valley. The best climbing you will ever have and right through the stunning indigenous forests. You won't get any better.

True this.

Also consider the Langkloof route. Not near the coast, but a stunning road along the mountains.

Re Nature's valley road - too true. It'll slow your journey down by an hour or three, but those will be the memories that'll stand out from this trip.

Can you get through the Bloukrans gorge on the R102, or is this road closed for all traffic?

Thanks for the great advice, this was my tentative plan, but I'll have to see how to add the natures valley road:

Day From To Distance

1 George Airport - Wilderness 27

2 Wilderness - Knysna 47

3 Knysna - Plettenberg bay 32

4 Plettenberg bay - Natures Valley 31

5 Natures Valley - Storms river mouth 43

6 Storms river mouth - Cadeu/Witelsbos 43

7 Cadeu/Witelsbos - Brakkeduine 59

8 Brakkeduine - Cape St Francis 38

9 Cape St Francis - Gamtoos mouth 52

10 Gamtoos mouth - Clarendon marine 48

11 Clarendon marine - PE 30

I'm also looking to see if I can shorten it by a day somehow without making one day too long and without missing anything fantastic. I'd like to have a day or two I can spend relaxing somewhere.

Edited by patrickza

Thanks for the great advice, this was my tentative plan, but I'll have to see how to add the natures valley road:

I'm also looking to see if I can shorten it by a day somehow without making one day too long and without missing anything fantastic. I'd like to have a day or two I can spend relaxing somewhere.

I think you will easily be able to take a day off that without missing out.  

Old road on one of the passes is a good place to spend the time and it will be much cooler down there in the shade.  The turn offs are not too far off the road.  Hit this area early and take your time through it.  Rest if need be.  Lots of little shops etc along the way so no need to carry too much.  

Have a lekker long lunch at the bottom of the pass and have fun!

Edited by Sepia