The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Blood. Mud. Pavè. Courage. Glory. Mother.

And still, Lizzie will be paid a shameful 5.1% of the winning prize that the man winning tomorrow will be paid.  So much for the notion that Europe is an egalitarian or even sophisticated community...

2 hours ago, justinafrika said:

And still, Lizzie will be paid a shameful 5.1% of the winning prize that the man winning tomorrow will be paid.  So much for the notion that Europe is an egalitarian or even sophisticated community...

The disparity in these areas of road cycling is at odds with other disciplines of the sport, with women’s mountain bike and cyclo-cross World Cups both having live coverage and UCI requirements for equal prize purses for the elite men and women. A huge gulf, however, in required prize money remains in road cycling.

- CyclingNews 

Thing is that  womens road cycling does not have the screen viewership that the mens have, that's what it reduces to. Just a fact.

What comes first, the chicken or the egg? There has been increasing live coverage of womens WT, but its pale in comparison to the mens, in some cases even rolled back. With increased TV coverage comes the big sponsors.

Womens CX is different, only in the last 10-15 years did it start getting live coverage, and viewership even exceeded that of the mens at one stage (when MdvP was dominating every race). Now most big teams have equal focus on both genders,

Its progressing for womens road, but I don't think it will draw level, either in terms of events or coverage, As much as I enjoy watching, its different.

Tricky subject.

Edited by kosmonooit
ty[os

Not a 2022 happy end for me. Stupid crash. Just wanted to go to the finish safe... Result is broken pubic bone in 2 places and a long recovery staying in bed coming up. Bye bye holiday. Bye bye recharging. I have done this more often but energy is running out.

@AvVlueten