Trans Baviaans 2017

NixM

One or two of the descents can be quite rough (especially in the dark), so you will be fairly cautious anyway.

The normal Controls should be fine - Well, mine were last year.

I don't think Grids are necessary.

Awesome, thanks Splat

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to this great event.  Anyone know the general condition of the roads/tracks, and how hectic the river crossings are?  Or will there be any given the drought?

The 1st 100+km is very corrugated/rutted so we'll be zig-zagging looking for smooth lines to ride. River crossings minimal due to the drought. The Fangs have been paved I hear.  

The 1st 100+km is very corrugated/rutted so we'll be zig-zagging looking for smooth lines to ride. River crossings minimal due to the drought. The Fangs have been paved I hear.  

River crossings and paved Fangs sound good. :clap:

What is the required procedure if you sell your entry?

I have emailed Ecobound but no reply and the website really only explains how substitutions work.

Hey veterans of TB! Need some advise on tyres....

Are sidewall cuts more prone on the Baviaans than other areas?

I usually ride the tygerberg trails like Hoogekraal and Contermans.

Thinking of changing my Spez Control tyres to the Spez Grid option...worth it or am I being overly cautious?

Thanks... :wacko:

There is a lot of loose shale on the valley road in. Side wall cuts and punctures aren't unheard of (you will definitely see people fixing punctures along this stretch).

I've had a sidewall cut going up MAC before, and my partner has punctured going down MAC. I've also punctured on the flat dirt road about 40kms in, and my partner punctured 100m after the start of the gravel in Willowmoore. And last year we punctured cresting the second Fang.

Are you more prone to punctures at Baviaans? I don't know. 

I've ridden Conti's, Geax, Schwalbe, Maxis etc. Punctures are punctures, and just bad luck.

Hi Guys, I need some advice or help if possible please. My brother is joining me for the "repeat" race but because of work commitments can only get a flight that lands in PE at 6pm. Anyone know of a shuttle to get him to the start or of anyone that has space to get him to the start? His bike will be driving down with me on the Friday morning.
Thanks

Hi Guys, I need some advice or help if possible please. My brother is joining me for the "repeat" race but because of work commitments can only get a flight that lands in PE at 6pm. Anyone know of a shuttle to get him to the start or of anyone that has space to get him to the start? His bike will be driving down with me on the Friday morning.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Just make sure to check with the race office whether you will be able to register without him being present on Friday. As far as I know all members must be present when registering and it closes at 21.00. There is no registration on Saturday anymore.

Hi Chris,

Just make sure to check with the race office whether you will be able to register without him being present on Friday. As far as I know all members must be present when registering and it closes at 21.00. There is no registration on Saturday anymore.

Thanks, I will call but it seems to be a 2h25 drive from PE to willowmore so he should make it by 30 mins :)

Sorry my mistake.. He needs to get from PE to willowmore on the Friday :) not to the start on Saturday

Thanks, I will call but it seems to be a 2h25 drive from PE to willowmore so he should make it by 30 mins :)

Hope you come right. I don't know of a shuttle as such(maybe Uber is an option although this or a taxi will be very expensive) and I doubt that teams will leave it to 18.00 to travel to Willowmore. I sincerely hope you make it but it will be cutting it fine.

Sorry my mistake.. He needs to get from PE to willowmore on the Friday :) not to the start on Saturday

Regardless, teams need to register by 21.00 and have their box for CP4 on the truck by then on Friday evening.

Regardless, teams need to register by 21.00 and have their box for CP4 on the truck by then on Friday evening.

yes the rest of us will be there by then and I will have all of his items for the boxes etc... Its just that he needs to get there.

yes the rest of us will be there by then and I will have all of his items for the boxes etc... Its just that he needs to get there.

Hope it works out. The other members from my team are travelling from PE but will unfortunately leave there by latest 14.00. I will ask them if they know of anyone leaving at about 18.00

Hope it works out. The other members from my team are travelling from PE but will unfortunately leave there by latest 14.00. I will ask them if they know of anyone leaving at about 18.00

Thank you

silly question:  are we allowed to use a GPS based map of the route on our garmins as the route isn't marked?

Or is that against the rules?

Highly unlikely you will need additional mapping as the route is well marked and quite straightforward. That does raise another topic though: you'll need all the battery power your Garmin can provide - so shut off all unnecessary settings on your device (no backlight; bluetooth off; no linked devices etc). Last year I crossed the line and my small Garmin Edge 25 was about 5% away from dying (9hrs36min of run time - I was impressed with the device's longevity!)

Highly unlikely you will need additional mapping as the route is well marked and quite straightforward. That does raise another topic though: you'll need all the battery power your Garmin can provide - so shut off all unnecessary settings on your device (no backlight; bluetooth off; no linked devices etc). Last year I crossed the line and my small Garmin Edge 25 was about 5% away from dying (9hrs36min of run time - I was impressed with the device's longevity!)

Lol - if only most could say there were targeting a sub 10 Trans... I attached a very small powerbank to my garmin 800 last year, but coming down one of the slopes on Neverender, it rattled off the bike completely. Needless to say, still managed to complete with enough power in 12:30.