Clicking and Ratchet Noise when Pedaling

Joedup

Hi Guys

I'm very new to the world of MTB'ing, so hope I can draw from some expert knowledge here before having to head out to a workshop.

I have a Titan 650b (just over a month old) and it's been riding like a dream.  However from yesterday afternoon, whenever I'm pedaling I get a single *click* sound on my right pedal when it's at the top of the rotation (12 o'clock position) and my left pedal makes like a ratchet sound starting from the 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock position.  So I end up with this *click* right and then ratchet Left on every pedal cycle.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I can't see anything visible and wasn't about to take the entire bike apart before seeking some advice?  I looked on the web, but these answers seem very varied.  It happens in all my gears and regardless of seating or standing position.  When I'm "freeing" downhill, there is no sound so guessing crank maybe?

Thanks all, I'd really appreciate you input.

Cheers!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start off at the pedal and give it a good clean and make sure there isn't any grit stuck on the moving bits. Take your shoe(s), remove the cleat(s), give it a good clean and put it back on. Once you've done all that, give the pedals a good once-over with some Teflon spray lube.

Isolate the pedals - spin them around it own axle without turning the crank. If its the pedal(s), its usually due to dirt around the bearings

Isolate the crank - turn the crank without hoding the pedals, so the pedals do not turn on their axles. I suspect the click is around the BB.

It might be that these issues only show up under power.

Rachet/grinding could also be from a loose/dirty/worn BB in general.

Try and progressively eliminate parts to try and find the culprit(s)

Awesome, thanks everyone for the input so far!

Will definitely have a look at all the suggestions.  Just glad that it seems the general direction of the feedback is due to dirt / pedals and not pointing to some major issue like gears or something.

Thank you everyone

Awesome, thanks everyone for the input so far!

Will definitely have a look at all the suggestions. Just glad that it seems the general direction of the feedback is due to dirt / pedals and not pointing to some major issue like gears or something.

Thank you everyone

Gears wouldn't be that consistent.

My guess - crank (BB) / pedals (in that order), as you said, most likely dirt

Thanks Pulse.

Just found it so odd that it hits in very precise pedaling positions though, hence why I didn't even consider dirt.  Honestly though a crank or thread that's worn out.

What he said. In my experience, clicking or creaking when pedalling is almost always the bottom bracket, followed by pedals. Your seatpost and saddle can also creak. That may sound stupid but sometimes it is not obvious where the noise is coming from. So as others have said - check and fix the things you can. Clean and lube the pedals, and then make sure its not the saddle. 

If it's neither of those then get the bottom bracket serviced because it's typically not a noobie job. It wont be expensive, or at least it shouldn't be. 

What he said. In my experience, clicking or creaking when pedalling is almost always the bottom bracket, followed by pedals. Your seatpost and saddle can also creak. That may sound stupid but sometimes it is not obvious where the noise is coming from. So as others have said - check and fix the things you can. Clean and lube the pedals, and then make sure its not the saddle. 

If it's neither of those then get the bottom bracket serviced because it's typically not a noobie job. It wont be expensive, or at least it shouldn't be. 

Thank you Nick

Will definitely try all of this out.  

Thanks for all the comments everyone, really appreciate a forum where people try and help.

I also noticed this on both my old and new bikes.

I have had the LBS and local Mechy check it all out by taking the crank apart and swapping pedals etc. but it is still there!!!

Basically whenever I apply pressure to the drive train. No one could find anything wrong except for for seat post creaking. However it still does it when I am out of the seat...

Anyway I am now at the point where I am getting used to the noise and hardly hear it anymore. It is actually so bad that my wife can hear my bike making all these horrible creaking noises when we are riding 10 meters apart! It might be that my long legs are applying too much torque for the little crank to handle  :whistling:  :eek:

I would still love to get it sorted so please post your findings and I will see if it is different to what we have checked thus far.

Edited by Mr lee

Thank you Nick

Will definitely try all of this out.  

Thanks for all the comments everyone, really appreciate a forum where people try and help.

To check the bb take the chain off the front rings and spin the cranks freely without the chain. If it still makes the noise its the bb and might need to be replaced.

Considering that it is a brand new bike, I'm doubtful that it would be the BB.

With most creaks and clicks on a bike, it's a process of elimination. Start at the easiest areas to check, before you start taking the crank and BB out and so on.

You are lucky, a click or creak that happens at the same spot in the pedal revolution is much easier to diagnose than a random creak. 

Could be one or more of your chain ring bolts that are not properly tightened or greased. Take apart, clean, grease and reassemble. 

You are lucky, a click or creak that happens at the same spot in the pedal revolution is much easier to diagnose than a random creak. 

Could be one or more of your chain ring bolts that are not properly tightened or greased. Take apart, clean, grease and reassemble. 

Thank you.  Will definitely follow the advice when I get home later.

Try removing pedals , add a touch of grease onto thread and tighten . Worked like a charm for click on my shimano pedals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk