Silverback Sierra -> Mongoose Meteore Comp (Complete Noob Swap and Build)

Howdy Hubbers,

First off, I'm going to ask silly questions, if you're unable to help, please don't comment with rubbish as I'm trying my first ever build since swapping BMX frames in high school.

Right, so I have a donor bike which is a Silverback Sierra 26" (Assuming a 2010 - 2012 region model), I bought her used a year ago after my entry lever Silverback Slade 4 650b was no longer doing the trick for me and upgrading components would have costs more in the end, unfortunately the frame was a bit bent at the right chainstay (I bent her straight and rode like that for a year until now)

Then this week, I bought a Mongoose Meteore Comp Frame 26" G7 alloy, the frame is in amazing condition but I have no idea of the year model.

So in my innocence I assumed it would be a simple swap between two 26er frames, this was not to be as I found out after stripping the Silverback almost bare (excluding the BB as I'm still deciding on buying a tool or not)

* My first issue I bumped into was the Seatpost Diameter - this was sorted by picking a used one up from a friend, easy peasy.

* 2nd issue: The headset diameters seem to differ, the silverback is a 44mm and the mongoose looks like it used just over 41mm headset

It never came with headset caps so now I need to know, where do I get caps from and do I buy new bearings too?

When taking the old setup apart, the top of the headset used a cartridge bearing and the bottom had a loose pack bearing with a little plastic frame to hold them (this was a surprise as I spent some time hunting down all the bearings after them spilling out when I removed the fork)

Can I at the same time "upgrade" the headset to take the cartridge top and bottom or do I stick to the current setup?

There are also several of these metal and plastic o-ring type of things, should these be replaced too (and what order do they go back in, I forgot because I was chasing bearings across the floor)?

Further upgrades I'm planning.

1. Upgrade rear derailleur to a Shimano Zee with a 10 spd shifter (on back order)

2. Upgrade to a 10 spd casette (will deore be fine or is slx the way, 36t or 34t?)

3. Ergo - fit bike setup and new saddle (looking at the WTB options)

So that's where I'm stuck at the moment, where to go next, any other issues to look out for?

post-69454-0-08658700-1480663346_thumb.jpg

post-69454-0-00453400-1480663350_thumb.jpg

post-69454-0-85912700-1480663353_thumb.jpg

post-69454-0-90114700-1480663357_thumb.jpg

post-69454-0-18856500-1480663362_thumb.jpeg

post-69454-0-77103600-1480663365_thumb.jpeg

You would need a new headset. These usually come with the cups, bearings, and spacers. You should be able to find the correct headset for the frame via google.

Let us know if you can't find it; will try and google for you

... I can't see too cleary on the pics; are the rear brake caliper mounts the same? If not you'll need an adaptor

Hey Pulse! I did as you mentioned and bought a new headset, the difference apparently was that the old frame needed those cups and the new frame had an integrated headet, this basically just takes type A Bearings with a 41mm OD and a 30mm ID, easy enough to source once I found what I needed, once I obtained the part, I bought the BB tool and finished the whole build in just 2 evenings at home.

Rear brake fitted exactly as the old frame did, I can't seem to upload better pics, the size and quality of the phone pics are too big, I'll redo them sometime this week.

Thanks for the tips so far!

The bike was dropped off at my LBS on saturday for new cables and a fork service (with those cool green UV resistant seals), they'll also just double check my work for me, since it's my first build.

All in all, new setup weighs 700g less just between the frames, I'm hoping going tubeless next plus a few newer parts might make it easier to pull around.

Now I'm just waiting for payday so I can continue upgrading, I'll do this on a "pay as you go" type of build so I can officially see what the upgrade costs at the end.

Still to do:

1. Setup

2. Rear Derailleur and Shifter (10 speed Shimano Zee)

3. New grips (Considering blue fabric honeycomb)

4. 2 X conversion from 3 X (New chain-rings needed)

5. New saddle (Looking at WTB???)

6. Tubeless conversion (Most likely Onza, needs to be grippy)

And there she is, all done!

My very own Frankenbike!

Some parts from my first Silverback Slade 4, crank, pedals, (which actually originally came from a scott) brake discs.

some from my Silverback Sierra, Bars, stem, shock, deailleurs, wheels and brakes (almost all the parts)

mongoose frame (bought on hub)

And voila, she's amazing!

I invested in tools as I was building, but the whole build (including fork service with SKF seals) came to under 3 grand :)

post-69454-0-73594600-1481271948_thumb.jpg

Lekker man! Looks awesome.

Always fun to work on a bike, but building one is the best! Many happy miles. Go tubeless asap, the way you ride it's non negotiable! Won't save much weight but still. Will let you know when I turn wife's 650 into a SS, may need some help.

Lekker man! Looks awesome.

Always fun to work on a bike, but building one is the best! Many happy miles. Go tubeless asap, the way you ride it's non negotiable! Won't save much weight but still. Will let you know when I turn wife's 650 into a SS, may need some help.

Cool bud, ja that's a lekker project! Good excuse to dig into the bike a bit..