26" Dual Suspension: Merida vs BMC (FIGHT!)

Mintman

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on comparing the following two bikes:

1) Merida One-Twenty 900 D (2012)

• Fork Manitou Minute TS 120
  • Rear shock X-Fusion O2RL
  • Wheels Alex Rim TD17
  • Front derailleur Shimano XT
  • Rear derailleur Shimano XT
  • Shifters Shimano SLX
  • Brakes Shimano BR-M505
  • Crankset Shimano SLX
  • Tyres   Kenda Slant Six                    

2) BMC Speedfox SF02 (2011)

• Fork Fox F-Series 120mm
  • Rear shock Fox Float RP2
  • Wheels DT Swiss
  • Shifters Shimano SLX
  • Brakes Avid Elixir
  • Crankset Shimano SLX
  • Tyres   Onza Canis (x1) Not sure about the other

Both are in good condition but Merida the mintest of the two.

All opinions welcome and appreciated :)

Edited by Mintman

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, I hear you on the 26" front but my understanding is that you can get a waaay better spec'd bike in 26" and even decent dual suspension.

I think wanting what everyone else wants has its drawbacks (and yes they want it for a reason, i get it). It can be a missed opportunity. I'm working on the assumption that 26" tyres and rims will be available moving forward and that it's not really ever going to be (in Trevor Noah's words) "Ded ded ded..." I'm hoping there will still be a pulse in the coffin.

I already have a 29" hardtail and so am looking for something zippier and smaller. Doesn't have to be dual suspension but could be a nice change.

Perhaps a compromise would be to get a pretty average 26" bike for 5k to just play with rather than something for double that.

But if I concede that 26 is dead, would the BMC be upgradeable to 27.5 (with or without the current fork and rear shock? What would need to change and would it be impractical. I wouldn't do it for a long while but potentially in a year or two.

Just give me an idea of whether it would be wise or not. I'm entirely ignorant and I'm sure that it shows.

But if I concede that 26 is dead, would the BMC be upgradeable to 27.5 (with or without the current fork and rear shock? What would need to change and would it be impractical. I wouldn't do it for a long while but potentially in a year or two.

Just give me an idea of whether it would be wise or not. I'm entirely ignorant and I'm sure that it shows.

The BMC is not upgradeable to 27.5. There is not enough clearance in the rear triangle.

I don't know about the Merida

The BMC is not upgradeable to 27.5. There is not enough clearance in the rear triangle.

I don't know about the Merida

Thanks Pulse, appreciate your help.

If your budget allows you to go for a similar bike in 650b then by all means. 

But I'm guessing you want a cheaper second bike you can fool around on.

The speedfox is ideal. Don't stress about wheelsize. 

Sure. You have to be a little more resourceful for replacement parts but it really isn't as hard as people make it seem. I have three 26ers. No problems with parts at all. I won't be too scared to buy another one either. The '26 is dead' is dead mantra is getting old. People have been chanting it for the last 3 years and guess what. 26ers are still around and will be for a while.

It would be shortsighted to ignore the fact that the almost all mountain bikes being made now are either 650b or 29. But if there's one glimmer of hope its slopestyle. These bikes will always keep the 26 flame burning.

If your budget allows you to go for a similar bike in 650b then by all means. 

But I'm guessing you want a cheaper second bike you can fool around on.

The speedfox is ideal. Don't stress about wheelsize. 

Sure. You have to be a little more resourceful for replacement parts but it really isn't as hard as people make it seem. I have three 26ers. No problems with parts at all. I won't be too scared to buy another one either. The '26 is dead' is dead mantra is getting old. People have been chanting it for the last 3 years and guess what. 26ers are still around and will be for a while.

It would be shortsighted to ignore the fact that the almost all mountain bikes being made now are either 650b or 29. But if there's one glimmer of hope its slopestyle. These bikes will always keep the 26 flame burning.

Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it! The second hand 26" BMC is sitting at 8k without a service. So do you think 9k all in is fair for this bike? (assuming there's nothing major and it just needs sealant top up and cleaning etc)

I absolutely agree with popcorn...

If you can get either of those at a descent price, I would get it.

I have a 26 and 29 bike. I do 90% of my general riding and training on the 26. I love it!

Depending on the race, I even prefer the 26 in some shorter races - I can just move the bike around so much better.

Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it! The second hand 26" BMC is sitting at 8k without a service. So do you think 9k all in is fair for this bike? (assuming there's nothing major and it just needs sealant top up and cleaning etc)

I would buy it at 8-9k.

Make sure the suspension is okay (no damage to stanchions etc).

The drivetrain will wear, and components will need to be replaced with time, but those are almost seen as 'normal maintenance'. Hopefully this still has some life in it.

I absolutely agree with popcorn...

If you can get either of those at a descent price, I would get it.

I have a 26 and 29 bike. I do 90% of my general riding and training on the 26. I love it!

Depending on the race, I even prefer the 26 in some shorter races - I can just move the bike around so much better.

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm intending to use it for. Nice to get some positive input! 

Hey there .

Between the two,  be aware that the BMC has the lowest end suspension, the ride quality of fox on the Merida frame will far out preform the BMC with poor suspension components.  Feel free to call us if you need any other assistance.  

Enjoy  

Bike Market 

082 220 8527 

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on comparing the following two bikes:

1) Merida One-Twenty 900 D (2012)

• Fork Manitou Minute TS 120
  • Rear shock X-Fusion O2RL
  • Wheels Alex Rim TD17
  • Shifters Shimano SLX
  • Brakes Shimano BR-M505
  • Crankset Shimano SLX
  • Tyres   Kenda Slant Six                    

2) BMC Speedfox SF02 (2011)

• Fork Fox F-Series 120mm
  • Rear shock Fox Float RP2
  • Wheels DT Swiss
  • Shifters Shimano SLX
  • Brakes Avid Elixir
  • Crankset Shimano SLX
  • Tyres   Onza Canis (x1) Not sure about the other

Both are in good condition but Merida the mintest of the two.

All opinions welcome and appreciated :)

Out of the two, i would go for the BMC.

The DT Swiss rims versus the Alex TD17 as win. Although the TD's are bulletproof, they are heavy, and most probably laced with cheap formula hubs (I had a set back in the day)

Also, I believe the fox RP2 to be a better rear shock than the X-Fusion. Currently have the same X-Fusion on my bike, and just bought a fox to replace it.

As Popcorn Skollie said, 26"ers are still well alive. Currently still own 3, and busy building up a 4th. Tyres are not an issue, recently bought maxxis tyres from probikeshop in germany. Took 2 days to be delivered to me.

Good luck with the choice