The West Coast Express is Back with a New Route and A New Venue

News bot

So its not the fastest, flattest road race on calender anymore. In what state is the malanshoogte gravel road?

So its not the fastest, flattest road race on calender anymore. In what state is the malanshoogte gravel road?

The surface is not too bad, though there are some sand and loose stones and some sinkplaat.

I'm thinking of doing this race, however I'm afraid of the gravel road. Will it be tough riding a road bike on gravel? I've never ridden on gravel with a road bike hence the question.

I'm thinking of doing this race, however I'm afraid of the gravel road. Will it be tough riding a road bike on gravel? I've never ridden on gravel with a road bike hence the question.

Very easy, just be careful of the loose stuff, skiny wheels don't like that at all.

Just take it easy, unclip before loose stuff and don't jaag over rocks/stones (punchers).

The sharp descent in the final 1/3 is where the skinny tyres will search for grip

Be careful ⚠️

Very easy, just be careful of the loose stuff, skiny wheels don't like that at all.

Just take it easy, unclip before loose stuff and don't jaag over rocks/stones (punchers).

Hou vas, pappa gaan nou jaag.

With the 99er the guy in front of me fell and I was caught by surprise how difficult it was to evade the crash given how sluggish the road bike handles on loose gravel.

So I would also suggest keeping a proper safe following distance from the oke ahead of you to give you time to react if things go wrong...

Just a bit of feedback after today:

This race on this route is well worth doing - you have a lekker climb (Tiekiedraai) to shake things up early on, then some fast riding out past Fisantekraal and to the silos (depending on wind direction). Then some good rollers where the group can split again easily, before you hit the gravel section. For me this is best done at speed, but not in a tight group. After that the Malanshoogte climb is a good challenge, before you hit another 3 rollers, a long downhill piece and the return to Killarney. And there you can finally rev your engine a bit more if you still have the legs.

Good route...