26" Hardtails: Merida vs KTM (Round 2: FIGHT!)

Mintman

Ding ding, and in the left corner, weighing in at 10.9kgs...

1) KTM Race (2012)

• RockShox Reba
  • XT SLX components
  • Two owners

In the right corner, weighing in at around 11.4 kgs...

2) Merida Matts LITE 1000 (2011)

• RockShox Recon Gold
  • XT SLX components
  • One owner

Apologies for the pdf for option 2. Both in good condition. I find the KTM aesthetically pleasing. But more interested in rating each on actual quality etc.

All thoughts and mockery welcome! :)

Edited by Mintman

Interested even if you just have an opinion on KTM in general. I've not ever had one or used one. Merida is more familiar to me..

KTM make some lekka bikes.  I've not tried the Race though, but have ridden the Myroon prestige, Revelator, Scarp, and Aera Comp in 27.5 and 29er.  All of them were good.

Love my KTM. Only problems i have encountered recently is that some of the parts are non-standard and therefore harder to source. The agency is Cycle Lab, when last i checked, but they weren't overly helpful at the time.

Love my KTM. Only problems i have encountered recently is that some of the parts are non-standard and therefore harder to source. The agency is Cycle Lab, when last i checked, but they weren't overly helpful at the time.

What sort of parts did you have trouble with? I would think it would mostly be easy to service the standard components?

The shock bushings (although in your case not applicable) were a ballache to source. Somewhere between DT and KTM no one really wanted to help too much. Also, the thread pitch on the rear thru axle is 1.75. Could find a KCNC one off the shelf after a few tries but to get a DT was again another long journey. So...looking at this now maybe my problem was actually with DT not KTM.

EDIT: It wasn't too bad. It's just that these items weren't readily available so you might wait a while on parts. So buy the Merida as a backup to the KTM :devil:

Edited by Ferro

KTM. REBA is superior to Recon Gold.

They both have *** wheelsets. KTM won't suffer from any of the above problems as it's a hardtail (shock bushings are a full suspension frame problem) and it has a QR rear, so no problems with thru axles.

Hey Guys please look at these pics and tell me if you can spot anything I need to worry about. The Merida has standard Shimano brakes  (in that white and black mix). The KTM has SLX.

post-103872-0-01064500-1481029481_thumb.jpeg

post-103872-0-06458200-1481029482_thumb.jpeg

post-103872-0-00576800-1481029483_thumb.jpeg

post-103872-0-62792000-1481029483_thumb.jpeg

Cycle Lab has only just taken over the agency, so they may not be very stocked on parts for bikes from prior to taking over.

The Merida drops to its knees.

Shao Kahn: FINISH HIM!

(graphic sequence of RockShox Recon Gold bottoming out and headset and stem splintering)

Flawless Victory 

The KTM problems have improved a lot. I have a Scarp, and has some issues with finding spares a couple of months ago, but Cycle Lab could now easily sort me out.

It appears that the problem came from the price fixing scenario from a while ago, where CL and 'another brand' split, and subsequently lost the agency. (Don't know if this is true, just what I've been told by a very unhelpful person in one of these shops).

Agency was only re-assigned recently. There are still several independent LBS that also supply KTM.

The Merida drops to its knees.

Shao Kahn: FINISH HIM!

(graphic sequence of RockShox Recon Gold bottoming out and headset and stem splintering)

Flawless Victory 

You forgot to say "FATALITY" !!! Mortal Combat fan :whistling:

Agree with Myles, the Reba seals the deal. Can't go wrong with the KTM, they are excelent bikes. I Bougt mine new in '04. Still going strong after 12000 or so km's and still running the original XT/LX 3x9 groupset.

post-62204-0-55242300-1481089799_thumb.jpg