Event Name: Ashburton Investments National MTB Series Grabouw
When: 28 January 2017
Where: Grabouw Country Club, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Venue: Grabouw Country Club, Grabouw, Western Cape

GPS Location: S25 06′ 00.47″ E30 45′ 20.91″

Elevation: 319m

Terrain: Single Track, Jeep Track, Gravel Road, Rocky

Features: Hand Built single track, Bridges, River Crossings, Spectacular Views, Dams

Found in the majestic Groenland, Grabouw lies in the Elgin valley surrounded by glorious Cape mountains and is a mountain biker’s paradise with its scenic and challenging trails.

The area has a long history of mountain biking, traversing similar routes with that of the Cape Epic & Wines 2 Whales and features incredibly panoramic views that are set against a background consisting of mountains, vineyards, forests and dams. An idyllic ride, the terrain is mainly made up of farm roads, gravel and dirt roads with single and dual track routes that cross over rivers and bridges, incorporate hilly climbs and offers picturesque views of the Elgin valley and Hottentots Holland mountains to the north and the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve to the south. With routes that cut through farm land and plantations, riders need to aware of farming and forestry vehicles and follow the board markers that will act as a guide to the allocated trails.

You can look forward to newly added routes on already great trails, well stocked water points, uncongested routes with little overlap, an expo area, local food stalls & craft beer, massages, bike washes and a VIP area.

Go to Event Page

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys are looking like amateurs down here in the Cape.

From route markings that get lost, double bee attacks on riders, and now they have scheduled a race on the same weekend as the Oak Valley 24hr.

I signed up thinking its the new 2 days race event just to see its not for this one and the elevation is a bit dissapointing if  correct at 319 m even for some one that does not like climbing thats an insult

From route markings that get lost, double bee attacks on riders, and now they have scheduled a race on the same weekend as the Oak Valley 24hr.

I think having more than one event on one day/weekend is going to be quite common. As I understand the 2 events are aimed at different crowds.

But fully agree, one would expect more info, especially that it is literally around the corner. I'm keen to do the full marathon but require a bit more info. Otherwise I just buy permits at Oak Valley and Paul Cluver on the same day and do my own marathon on another day

And Porcupine Ridge race in Franschoek, which I will be attending

Things could get a bit crowded with the two events so close to each other. Did the Grabouw event this year so time again for 24hours at Dr Cluver...

Oh - and now that looks tempting too. But I've paid already.

And Porcupine Ridge race in Franschoek, which I will be attending

• 2 weeks later...

I think the elevation of 319m is height above sealevel they refer to... which is about correct for Grabouw's geographic location.

As for the marathon... expect nothing less than 1500m of climbing specially in Grabouw.

But fully agree, they should at least give more info seeing it's at the end of the month. 

I think the elevation of 319m is height above sealevel they refer to... which is about correct for Grabouw's geographic location.

As for the marathon... expect nothing less than 1500m of climbing specially in Grabouw.

But fully agree, they should at least give more info seeing it's at the end of the month. 

I would agree with this, lots of climbing in Grabouw, have done plenty races there

At the end of the day guys, the calendar is full, just pick one and go ride!!!!!

Was there a week ago and must say there is not much left of Grabouw after fires.I would say all single tracks are gone.The organizers would probably have to wait a week before the event to plot a route and would probably just stick to the open roads as grabouw is changing daily.Its like riding on the moon in places.

Still no info and I wonder if the fires might not actually write this event off this year?

Event Name: Ashburton Investments National MTB Series Grabouw

When: 28 January 2017

Where: Grabouw Country Club, Western Cape

Category: MTB

Venue: Grabouw Country Club, Grabouw, Western Cape

GPS Location: S25 06′ 00.47″ E30 45′ 20.91″

Elevation: 319m

Terrain: Single Track, Jeep Track, Gravel Road, Rocky

Features: Hand Built single track, Bridges, River Crossings, Spectacular Views, Dams

Found in the majestic Groenland, Grabouw lies in the Elgin valley surrounded by glorious Cape mountains and is a mountain biker’s paradise with its scenic and challenging trails.

The area has a long history of mountain biking, traversing similar routes with that of the Cape Epic & Wines 2 Whales and features incredibly panoramic views that are set against a background consisting of mountains, vineyards, forests and dams. An idyllic ride, the terrain is mainly made up of farm roads, gravel and dirt roads with single and dual track routes that cross over rivers and bridges, incorporate hilly climbs and offers picturesque views of the Elgin valley and Hottentots Holland mountains to the north and the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve to the south. With routes that cut through farm land and plantations, riders need to aware of farming and forestry vehicles and follow the board markers that will act as a guide to the allocated trails.

You can look forward to newly added routes on already great trails, well stocked water points, uncongested routes with little overlap, an expo area, local food stalls & craft beer, massages, bike washes and a VIP area.

Go to Event Page

Advendurance what is the situation is this event going to happen -?

• 2 weeks later...

did you honestly just make that comment for the sake of commenting & giving these guys a hard time?

24hr OV traditionally has their event the 3rd week in Jan for years now just go do the research, now instead of flaming Dirtopia/Amarider for changing their dates you decide to blame Advendurance for planning theirs on the same weekend.

Secondly Advendurance has had their event on this last weekend in Jan for the past couple of years already, from the old MTN serious to the now Ashburton events but what the hell do I know.

Edited by milky4130