New format boost for Ashburton Investments National MTB Series

News bot

Not sure how this will help the Elites but great news for the rest of us.

According to Fritz Pienaar from Advendurance, the decision to drop the ultra-marathon distance was driven by the big gap young riders have to bridge when they leave the Junior category, racing the 45km distance, to suddenly having to cope with the ultra-marathon distance, which is more than double the distance they’re accustomed to.

“The ultra-marathons were becoming tests of attrition and riders were more focussed on survival, which meant the racing wasn’t as exciting as it could be. We are expecting the new format will invigorate the racing among the top males.

Marketing speak for "Ultra marathons weren't attracting the numbers we need to make money out of this so we dropped it."

Think it's a good idea for those that have never been fortunate enough to do a stage race. Will get to see what 2 days racing feels like. Am keen to try .

I like this... Did my first 2 day stage race this year at the Arabella Challenge and i like the format. Looking forward to this. Just a pity Grabouw is not a 2 day event.