Interview: Kevin Benkenstein on The Munga

Bike Hub Features

The Munga covers over a thousand kilometres non-stop from Bloemfontein to Wellington, through the heart of the sweltering Karoo. Riders faced soaring temperatures, scorching sun, endless corrugated farm roads, and a 40 kilometre an hour headwind for the majority of the route. Kevin Benkenstein finished fifth overall, after 3 days, 5 hours, and 44 minutes in the saddle. We caught up with him to find out more about the challenge.

Click here to view the article

Benky is a bit of endurance animal and well known for it in the KZN circles. He has done a couple of solo unsupported everesting efforts. He eats cement for breakfast and lives rule 5!

seems like the Edmund Hillary of our local everesting...so probably the right type of dude for Munga.

is he sponsored/supported by Spaz, or just a fanboi?

seems like the Edmund Hillary of our local everesting...so probably the right type of dude for Munga.

I think he is actually their South African Marketing Manager. He has 5 Spez bikes.

Supported by Spez SA, as far as i know

I think he is actually their South African Marketing Manager. He has 5 Spez bikes.

okee dokee, lucky him!

Ummmm...sorry but who is Kevin Benkenstein?

Actually a well known rider and cycling personality who lives and breathes cycling, works for Specialized SA. Originally from KZN and based in Jhb. 

Does a huge amount of good for Qhubeka bikes with numerous everesting rides that are done around the country.

Supported by Spez SA, as far as i know

I wonder if I can get him to call me ....... would it be wrong to ask for pedal assist advice ?

#promise not to use it on Munga ...