Which lid to get? Leatt or Bell

jcmeyerSS

Hi Guys and Girls.

So I need to tap into some of that Awesome Hub Opinion.

I'm Off to the USA next month and wanna get a new Enduro lid with detachable chin guard.

I have looked at a bunch.

Giro switchblade, Lazer (something), Met parachute (know its not detactable) and a few others but I managed to narrow it down to two that I really like.

Leatt DBX 3.0 Enduro

http://www.leatt.com/shop/helmets/bicycle/helmet-dbx-3-0-enduro-v2-blue-lime.html

New kid on the block with regards to removable chin guards so not much in the case of reviews that are long term, however Leatt are known for great quality pots and it looks nice in chinless mode.

Bell Super 3R

https://www.bellhelmets.com/en_eu/cycling/helmets/super-3r-mips-equipped-1

Bell have just released just the Super 3R, I was thinking of getting the 2R and now they have updated it with the 3R that has a better fit, look and integrated MIPS. They claim to have ironed out a few problems. so any version 2.0 has appeal over a first release as with the Leatt.

Both lids are around the $230 mark so price is not a factor.

Would love to hear the Hubbers thoughts and Opinions

BELLpost-16067-0-77210400-1481914130_thumb.png

LEATTpost-16067-0-76243200-1481914139_thumb.jpeg

I have a Bell 2R and absolutely love it. I don't do the type of riding that requires a DH rated lid so that's not a factor in my case. If it's the same for you then I'm sure neither helmet will dissapoint, so my honest opinion...get the colour scheme you like most :-) From the pics you provided...I'd end up with another Bell.

On a more serious note, take into account that Bell has been making helmets for decades, just saying.

It seems to me that you never know hiw good a helmet is until it needs to do its job. If it were practical I would wear a full face motorbike helmet and a suit of chainmail.

hmm that's tough one, Leatte are awesome as a brand and always put plenty of research into their product development. but Bell as stated have been in the game for a lot longer. personally i prefer the Bell color schemes and have personally put a Super to the test, i crashed head first into an embankment at about 20 odd km an hour and managed to crack the Super 1 straight across the brow just above my forehead. i walked away with shoulder damage and some scrapes and bruises but survived a head on without so much as a concussion. based on this and the crash replacement warranty i picked up a Super 2 for less than a grand and have complete faith in the fact that the lid will and has in the past saved my life.

i think its a personal choice though, the Leatte looks cool and i am sure will do exactly what they say it will( also its a SA brand from what i understand) but for me i think the Bell would get my money.

I know there is a demo leatt or two floating between stores find out where and check it out I agree tough choice but when I picked up the Leatt I was blown away by the quality some really cool functional nuisances like the fact there is a place for your hydration tube.... The motoX influence is very apparent with Leatt and for my money this is a clear winner!

My wife and I both have the Bell. Loved it....until she fell in an Enduro race and cut open her head ABOVE her ear. Lost all faith in the amount of protection these helmets give. We're getting the Leat next year.

Interesting. Please elaborate on the injury? Did the helmet cut the ear or a rock? Was the chin guard attached?

She fell on a rock, and the chin guard was attached. If she was wearing her full face, there would have been no injury. The Bell is cut to high over the ear...unlike the Giro Switchblade ;)

I Love the switchblade. I really wonder if it can be used in RSA as a trail lid

I think the Switchblade is a great helmet for Enduro racing. You really want to push yourself on challenging terrain and want an open face for the climbs. For trail riding in the Spruit or 40deg+ days at Hoogekraal ( I should get up earlier) , no.

But to elaborate: I have a Fox Rampage MIPS, the Bell Super 2R and a normal trail lid. If the trail features are intimidating or on DH tracks: The Fox. Everyday riding: my normal trail lid....where does the Bell come in? Enduro races. Only because they do not allow us to climb with our caps and dh with our full face helmets. I think this rule is actually detrimental to safety, as most people just take one helmet: their trail lids. That's why the Leat is my choice. You have a DH rated full face and a trail lid in one.

• 1 month later...

So I'm back and I got the Bell Super 3R cause the Leatt was not availbe until June. Love the fit of the Bell and it looks sweet without the chin guard.