GoPro 5.... is it all that? (worth the spend)

L.T.G

I'm keen on getting a new GoPro 5, my Hero 2 has served me well for the last 4 and a half years but it's really dated in terms of size and function.

But the 5 is a fair bit of Randelas...

for those who've taken the plunge....is it worth it?

I picked up a Hero 5 Session in early October in the states and so far i'm very happy with it. I also went from a Hero2 to this and this Session is so much better in every way. No more silly bac-pacs for wifi, LCD etc, it works flawlessly with my Galaxy S6. Time will tell how long the battery lasts, but had no issues yet with it giving me around 2 hours on 1080 / 50fps. Best for me is the form factor, no more big camera sticking off my handlebars or motorbike helmet, and I can jump into the pool to film the kids and not worry about getting it wet. In my opinion it's a worthy upgrade.     

If you coming from the 2, then yes it is worth it....if you have the 4 Black or silver, then no. Have a look at the VIRB Ultra 30 as well, same price...same specs, only not waterproof out the box and spares not released yet (batteries and frame mount).

5:

More or less same specs as 4 Black (cheaper too) but has E-stabilisation and is waterproof to 10m without housing (BIG plus!). Voice control is there but a gimmick...doesn't work when moving anything faster than slightly more than walking pace. IMO audio is not great...new auto smart tech for balancing 3 mics just doesn't work and audio constantly hunting for best signal...I have it on wind-only which seems better. More spares now available. Recent Firmware upgrade excludes 3rd Party batteries (eg Smatree and Wasabi) - GoPro strong arm tactics...not well received! New GPS function a waste of time...only tags pics with co-ordinates...no usable data for video overlays....waiting on firmware update to utilize the GPS properly.

VIRB Ultra:

Same specs and price as GP5, also electronic stabilisation, voice control (same issues when moving), audio really good even when in housing. Needs housing for working in/near water. Mounts the same as GP cameras, no spares on market yet. More user-friendly than GP5....touch screen layout better and you can see when its recording very well from any angle...GP5 has a small blinking light in front only and is impossible to see in daytime. Works well with other Garmin products eg Fenix 3 as remote control. Very mature utilization of GPS data for overlays on Garmin video software or other Garmin GPS software.

Go get some!!!