Are there any road cyclists / groups in Howick?

ironinthesoul

Hi,

I'm staying with my folks in Howick for Christmas (and probably at least a couple of weeks a month for the next year) and I've brought my road bike.

I know you'll all say I should have brought my MTB but I could only fly with one bike and the road bike won.

Are there any groups or individuals riding on the road around Howick who fancy going out for a ride?

I can ride most days and most times and am just keen to find the good roads around here.

If you'd like company on a ride, let me know and I'll be happy to take my turn pushing wind out of the way.

Michael

Hey Bud

Might be able to help or put you in contact with riders.  Several solo riders doing base at the moment and company always nice... some are pretty  damn quick so bring your legs lol

Berg Wheelers doing some rides

Vertical Spaces doing some rides

My daughter also doing base training so I will be out there with her... always welcome to join if you ok with a medium pace. Distance will be 60km/80km along Karkloof route, Curries Post route or Notties route.... or maybe some dirt road exploring. Other options are Dargle route(climbing!). 430/500 am starts are best 

Edited by Griffin

Hi Griffin, 

That sounds good to me! I'm up for anything really. I'm carrying a couple of broken ribs at the moment so not in the best shape but still capable of turning pedals I think. Normally managing 100km with 1,000m vertical in around 3 hours to 3.15 when I'm not getting over chewing tarmac.

4.30am sounds really early! I didn't even realise there was a 4.30 in the morning! But, what doesn't kill me and all that! :)

So, I'm up for a ride whenever, just need to get in touch.

Michael

Hi Griffin, 

That sounds good to me! I'm up for anything really. I'm carrying a couple of broken ribs at the moment so not in the best shape but still capable of turning pedals I think. Normally managing 100km with 1,000m vertical in around 3 hours to 3.15 when I'm not getting over chewing tarmac.

4.30am sounds really early! I didn't even realise there was a 4.30 in the morning! But, what doesn't kill me and all that! :)

So, I'm up for a ride whenever, just need to get in touch.

Michael

430am/5am... best time of the day :) Its summer and its gets pretty warm out there on the tarmac lol.  Plus.. early start means the rest of your day can be dedicated to craft beer and family lol

Predominantly MTB here but road is good for base/stamina/endurance :) 

PM me and let me know when you keen. In the meantime I will ask what plans some of the guys have planned and you can opt in to join if around. 

Got a ride planed for tomorrow morning.. Windmills to Siteka to Karkloof T junction (MTB on dirt rd) then Karkloof rd (tar) to Mbona dirt rd (turn)and return to Howick (road bike)

4 common routes.

A) to karkloof and back- easy

B) curry post road to terbedore-hills

C) Nottingham -hills and traffic issues

D) Dargle-HILLS, quiet and scenic

I am also in Howick with my road bike. I thought of riding up the Karkloof road to the dirt road. Is this a good route?

Great route.. nice wide shoulder almost all the way and pretty popular with roadies. Just  use common logic and always be aware of traffic

Edited by Griffin

I am also in Howick with my road bike. I thought of riding up the Karkloof road to the dirt road. Is this a good route?

I've done it a couple of times and enjoyed it. Just wish it was a bit longer. I'm always happy to ride it with you if you want company?

4 common routes.

A) to karkloof and back- easy

B) curry post road to terbedore-hills

C) Nottingham -hills and traffic issues

D) Dargle-HILLS, quiet and scenic

Nothing wrong with a few hills! I've been eyeing up the N3 - good hills, great surface. :) 

I've driven on a few roads round here and the surfaces have been really poor so want to avoid those, and Google maps isn't all that helpful with the tar / dirt issue. And, not being a local I'm not sure how safe it is round here.

Road surfaces in town are terrible...pot holes deluxe

Karklood rd surface not to bad

Curries post rd surface not great but rideable

Notties rd surface not bad but it can be a busy rd traffic wise and its narrow

Dargle rd surface not bad and a great pizza spot along the way :)

N3 not a good spot to ride... freeway !!

Will send you some gpx files of routes. Pity you dont have a mtb here!

Its relatively safe to ride but be aware of timber truck/taxi on the roads...and out of towners who use the midlands roads to get annual dust on thier SUV's lol. Use usual caution and be aware of your surroundings

I've done it a couple of times and enjoyed it. Just wish it was a bit longer. I'm always happy to ride it with you if you want company?

Thanks for the offer, I did a hectic trail run today so it's going to take a couple days to recover.

Thanks to ironinthesoul for the leg spinner with my daughter this morning :) she really enjoyed it and its the perfect start to dec training (i know, i know... its late aready!)

That Lynskey is a beautiful bike! 

Taking it easy up to Notties tomorrow- can pass by hospital intersection, Main Rd, Howick, at 05h45, for whoever like to hook up.

Coffee stop at Steampunk Cafe on the way down

Welcome to the Midlands Ironinthesoul, and RollingThunder.  Although Howick is mtb heaven it is good to have more roadies around. 

I'm sure we will bump into each other on the road.  I will keep my eyes peeled for your Lynskey. 

Vertical Spaces, traditional 'Boxing Day Short run' from Fernhill 2 Notties, 26th Dec, 07h00.

More detail on the Vertical Spaces Facebook page