Rush Sports appointed exclusive distributor of Santa Cruz Bicycles in Southern Africa

News bot

Haha has Santa's 650B changed your mind from only believing in 29ers.

Thats a difficult one... this is my first 650B, and to be fair I'm super unfit and have only had 5 very short rides. I can tell you that it is incredibly surprising. Light, nimble, lively. The riding style, strengths and position are so completely different to a 29", especially something like the Wreckoning that just destroys anything you put in front of it. I think (for me anyway) you get lazy on a 29", its like free speed, as long as you stay off the brakes you don't really have to work the bike, it maintains its speed so well. The 650B on the other hand requires constant rider feedback, which sounds like a negative thing, but the catch is that it rewards you so greatly for it, that provided you have the fitness and strength to be "physical" all the time, I think it can be incredibly quick (and fun). I just need to build some serious strength endurance, and learn how to ride the small wheels.

Maybe 26" for 2018...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a difficult one... this is my first 650B, and to be fair I'm super unfit and have only had 5 very short rides. I can tell you that it is incredibly surprising. Light, nimble, lively. The riding style, strengths and position are so completely different to a 29", especially something like the Wreckoning that just destroys anything you put in front of it. I think (for me anyway) you get lazy on a 29", its like free speed, as long as you stay off the brakes you don't really have to work the bike, it maintains its speed so well. The 650B on the other hand requires constant rider feedback, which sounds like a negative thing, but the catch is that it rewards you so greatly for it, that provided you have the fitness and strength to be "physical" all the time, I think it can be incredibly quick (and fun). I just need to build some serious strength endurance, and learn how to ride the small wheels.

Maybe 26" for 2018...

Yea fitness always help,I think there is a lot of us in the same boat after the festive season. Yea the 650B is more fun and you can't steam roll everything like the Wreckoning you have to pick your lines. Well done with the Santa Cruz appointment now you need to get fit for the KZN Enduro series.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe 26" for 2018...

There is a quick answer to your "unfit" problem.......get on a road bike and on the road...

#justsaying

so Mr Earth ...... ummmm any chance on a long term test for a 650b model. To maybe say do the Munga 2017, with possibly Sani2C as the in betweener to make sure everything is solid?

prrrrreeeetttttttttttttttyyyyyy pls !

Ok Mr Earth, your silence drives a hard bargain. You dont like the 650b. So make it a 29er instead. Will that be ok ?

Hi Freebee, ag I mean Slowbee, stand in line!  :P

uuuhum, you already posted your 2017 line up. Some of us still need to test some bikes for our 2017 lineups #feelinghopefull

I'm really hoping that with this more focused foray into the marathon crazy S.A market, there are plans to release an XC/Marathon oriented, steeper geometried full suss bike to rival the likes of the S-Works Epics etc. After the Tallboy 3 went a bit slacker now, I'm left wondering what to buy after my TB2, which I've done my best to get to be as sharp and "twitchy" as my Highball...

I'm really hoping that with this more focused foray into the marathon crazy S.A market, there are plans to release an XC/Marathon oriented, steeper geometried full suss bike to rival the likes of the S-Works Epics etc. After the Tallboy 3 went a bit slacker now, I'm left wondering what to buy after my TB2, which I've done my best to get to be as sharp and "twitchy" as my Highball...

There are plans for a dual bottle cage in the triangle short travel 29er... trust me on this.... and I am sure I will take one out for a test as soon as they hit SA - but I doubt it will be in the next couple of months - perhaps towards year end or early next year

The answer is a Scalpel, thank me later.

PS: Sorry for the highjack :ph34r: 

Don't underestimate longer, lower and slacker for marathon... test one (properly) before you cast your final judgement on that one. The "perception" of feeling slower on the trail may actually surprise you in cold hard facts.

Not to say that there isn't room for improvement or expansion in the product range ;)

Personally I feel that the slacker trail geometry of the previous and new models of Tallboy are more suitable for probably 80% of South African mtb'ers.

But as everyone knows we are a marathon obsessed nation and everybody thinks they are a 'sharper' , 'racier' Christoph Sauser Specializes S-Works type rider whereas we are actually more like the 'slacker', 'more relaxed' John Smith Santa Cruz Tallboy type riders.

But maybe thats just me......

There are plans for a dual bottle cage in the triangle short travel 29er... trust me on this.... and I am sure I will take one out for a test as soon as they hit SA - but I doubt it will be in the next couple of months - perhaps towards year end or early next year

How do you know? ;-)

Edited by TheOldCootBiker

Roadbike?!?! Pffffft!! Stigmata is coming ;)

:thumbdown:  <_<  -_-  :(

THAT IS JUST UNFAIR!

I am avoiding your posts in the near future!

I am buying a boat :devil: , I cant afford a Stigmata also this year!

It's on my bike desire list though! :drool: