XTR Pedals - keep on failing

JannievanZyl

This is my second set of XTR pedals that broke like this. Pretty much the end of your ride when this happens. Not very confidence inspiring. :(

Anyone else seeing this on these pedals and can it be repaired?

post-34916-0-79734600-1482431086_thumb.jpg

post-34916-0-69968400-1482431087_thumb.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time shimanos are bombproof.

The saints have the same issues(axle breaking off) but the xtr's and xt's are flawless IMO

Contact the place you bought them at I'm dead sure can you can still claim a new set through warranty.

Good luck . Let us know what happend.

xtr have a known problem. Shimano do normally warranty them easily. they come with a 2 yr warranty. in future stick to xt

This.

No reason to get them unless you want to save grams in the last place you should. And even then replace them at least every 6 months. Cos they're a race pedal. Built to be replaced

How maney times are we going to have this thread resurrected .Buy XT only .In Europe the bikestores don,t even keep any XTR componant,s .It is considered for pro,s only !

How maney times are we going to have this thread resurrected .Buy XT only .In Europe the bikestores don,t even keep any XTR componant,s .It is considered for pro,s only !

The pro's ride XT.

Good enough for me

Saving 20g, but having something that breaks easily is plain stupid

The pro's ride XT.

Good enough for me

Saving 20g, but having something that breaks easily is plain stupid

Pros don't buy, and probably have them swopped out after every race.

As said get XT only pedals

Been using the same set of XT pedals for 4 years now and no problems.  Serviced them maybe twice and still going strong.

I saw an XTR crank arm that snapped just above where it bolts onto the shaft. Fairly new, under 6 months old, lady rider. I couldn't believe how thin the side walls of the casting was obviously to save on weight. Could result in a nasty injury if peddling hard.

OP did the shaft actually break or did the securing bolt at the end of the shaft come loose, allowing the pedal to disassemble itself?

If a loose bolt it can be fixed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My trusty old 520s are probably the most bang for my buck bike part I have ever bought. Smash them in rocks all the time, never fail. Serviced them once in the last 3 years.

I have been using the same set of 540 for 12 years. I have serviced them 3 times (by myself) and there still going strong