GoPro advice

JeffD

Yeah..I am a big believer in CMAS, it is still quite intense and technical, the kids had to spend a lot of hours in the lecture room each day and write a lot of tests.. I flipped through their books and still quite detailed as was when we did it, covered all the same stuff we did... They spent about 8 hours each day in the lecture room and 3-5 hrs a day in the pool. So over 2 days is was quite a lot before they even got into the ocean.. but once they did they had no issues

But rather that and prepare them better than just a wham bam course that leaves them unprepared. And I suppose any course is only as good as their instructor..and they had a really good one.

Yeah we followed him quite closely those years, I have heard that he is a nice guy. He was the rock star of the diving world hey..pushed those limits so far hey.. any idea of what he is up to now days?

That ice dive sounds like a bad idea lol.. brrr.. the Bahamas though..that must be something special hey.

Yah, I wanted to do it for the experience, but its not something I would do on a weekly basis.

The Bahamas are great, Nassau has loads of dive shops and tour operators but I have known Stuart Cove for a great many years and so mostly go dive there, he is very well known in the industry and many movies were shot at his facilities, many James Bond scenes,  Flipper and Jaws 1 all used his facility for scenes. He also has the most amazing shark feeding dive. Google him.

Another great Bahamas destination was Walkers Cay which I was fortunate to visit and dive a few times, the island was privately owned by John Abplanalp (senior, who invented the aerosol valve in the 40's or 50's and started a massive company called Precision valves) John developed Walkers Cay into one of the best dive and big game fishing islands in the Bahamas. People came from all over the world to dive and fish there, unfortunately it was destroyed by a Hurricane and the estimate costs to rebuild it was $20.000.000.00 (20 million dollars) his kids who had by then become the owners decided it was not worth it and put it on the market for $25.000.000.00, there were lots of people interested but the costs of rebuilding it etc were prohibitive and I think its still on the market. You can google it as well. Their company Precision Valves, is worth something like $2 billion dollars so I really dont see them suffering over this little Island, they will just wait it out and sell. 

Here's some Pics of Walkers Cay

An iconic shot of Walkers during a big game fishing competition.

post-16119-0-23417700-1483359933_thumb.jpg

The Sea View dive boat after it was sunk in the Hurricane

post-16119-0-68939900-1483359982_thumb.jpg

A view from the shore looking out over the inlet

post-16119-0-27603300-1483360067_thumb.jpg

Yes, Nuno is a great guy, much like all the now old timers of the day, he is pretty much retired, he lives almost predominantly in the USA now, but still travels back and forth to SA.  

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, I wanted to do it for the experience, but its not something I would do on a weekly basis.

The Bahamas are great, Nassau has loads of dive shops and tour operators but I have known Stuart Cove for a great many years and so mostly go dive there, he is very well known in the industry and many movies were shot at his facilities, many James Bond scenes, Flipper and Jaws 1 all used his facility for scenes. He also has the most amazing shark feeding dive. Google him.

Another great Bahamas destination was Walkers Cay which I was fortunate to visit and dive a few times, the island was privately owned by John Abplanalp (senior, who invented the aerosol valve in the 40's or 50's and started a massive company called Precision valves) John developed Walkers Cay into one of the best dive and big game fishing islands in the Bahamas. People came from all over the world to dive and fish there, unfortunately it was destroyed by a Hurricane and the estimate costs to rebuild it was $20.000.000.00 (20 million dollars) his kids who had by then become the owners decided it was not worth it and put it on the market for $25.000.000.00, there were lots of people interested but the costs of rebuilding it etc were prohibitive and I think its still on the market. You can google it as well. Their company Precision Valves, is worth something like $2 billion dollars so I really dont see them suffering over this little Island, they will just wait it out and sell.

Here's some Pics of Walkers Cay

An iconic shot of Walkers during a big game fishing competition.

attachicon.gifwalkers_cay_1.jpg

The Sea View dive boat after it was sunk in the Hurricane

attachicon.gifwalkers-marina-10.jpg

A view from the shore looking out over the inlet

attachicon.gifwalkers-marina-23.jpg

Yes, Nuno is a great guy, much like all the now old timers of the day, he is pretty much retired, he lives almost predominantly in the USA now, but still travels back and forth to SA.

Oh wow.. that looks amazing.

• 6 months later...

Hi again,

Going back to the OP and skipping the diving discussions (no offense), what software do you use to edit videos?

I'm finding Quik on my iPad frustrating. Any other suggestions please.