Any Hubbers in the Netherlands?

J∆kk∆ls

Hi Expats or Locals living in Amsterdam, I will be moving to the Netherlands (Amsterdam) soon.

I will be a complete noob when cycling/ training/racing (entering events, not pro) in Amsterdam.

I will bring my race bike over and buy a single speed commuter once I'm there. Or should I buy a steel single speed here and take it over?

So many questions to ask! 

Will also be looking for group rides once there! 

Any advice from experienced expats in this regard would be golden.

Thanks! 

Timeline 2 months and counting!  

Edited by J∆kk∆ls

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a ex hubber there that move there about 3 years ago, but as I said he is not active on the hub.  I have contact with him via FB.  Should you not come right PM me.  Maybe I can get some info for you.  He is cycling there and also built a SS for commuting after arriving there.

There is a ex hubber there that move there about 3 years ago, but as I said he is not active on the hub.  I have contact with him via FB.  Should you not come right PM me.  Maybe I can get some info for you.  He is cycling there and also built a SS for commuting after arriving there.

I will PM you if I get stuck thanks. 

I hail from Holland (came to SA 20 years or so ago) so can probably answer most of your questions.

Happy for you to PM me

In terms of the questions posted n the thread

- Suggest you look for clubs / groups once you have arrived n A'Dam

- For a commuter, I reckon the local stele Jezus bkes are the best. Would not buy something to expensive as the local attitude is that if a bike is parked on the street it is not being used as designed for and hence will be taken by someone else to ride

I hail from Holland (came to SA 20 years or so ago) so can probably answer most of your questions.

Happy for you to PM me

In terms of the questions posted n the thread

- Suggest you look for clubs / groups once you have arrived n A'Dam

- For a commuter, I reckon the local steile Jezus bikes are the best. Would not buy something to expensive as the local attitude is that if a bike is parked on the street it is not being used as designed for and hence will be taken by someone else to ride

Corrected

If you plan on racing in the Netherlands, just remember you need an active UCI racing license. Whilst you can arrange for a racing license once you get there, it might be easier to arrange a license through CSA.

You will need a domestic racing license which will cost you R350 for the year. In addition, ask CSA for an international racing license, you will need to provide proof of medical aid for them to issue this. In addition, you will need a permission letter from CSA - this letter will say that CSA has given you permission to race in the Netherlands. Then you are covered. This permission letter is purely for NL, if you wish to race in another country using your international racing license, be sure to have additional permission letters. Make several photocopies of your passports and ride around with one. Take safety pins to the races.

When you get to the Netherlands, you are already eligible to race and you can begin the process of switching from an RSA UCI license to an NL UCI license.

If you plan on racing in the Netherlands, just remember you need an active UCI racing license. Whilst you can arrange for a racing license once you get there, it might be easier to arrange a license through CSA.

You will need a domestic racing license which will cost you R350 for the year. In addition, ask CSA for an international racing license, you will need to provide proof of medical aid for them to issue this. In addition, you will need a permission letter from CSA - this letter will say that CSA has given you permission to race in the Netherlands. Then you are covered. This permission letter is purely for NL, if you wish to race in another country using your international racing license, be sure to have additional permission letters. Make several photocopies of your passports and ride around with one. Take safety pins to the races.

When you get to the Netherlands, you are already eligible to race and you can begin the process of switching from an RSA UCI license to an NL UCI license.

Brilliant! Thanks. 

There is a ex hubber there that move there about 3 years ago, but as I said he is not active on the hub. I have contact with him via FB. Should you not come right PM me. Maybe I can get some info for you. He is cycling there and also built a SS for commuting after arriving there.

Maybe Willihond (spelling)

He was a Hubber who moved to NL and has not been active on the hub... he might be lurking tho. ????

Not sure if this is who you mean?

Maybe Willihond (spelling)

He was a Hubber who moved to NL and has not been active on the hub... he might be lurking tho.

Not sure if this is who you mean?

Don't thinks so. Ex TCS'er.  Him and the wife cycles.

Hi Expats or Locals living in Amsterdam, I will be moving to the Netherlands (Amsterdam) soon.

I will be a complete noob when cycling/ training/racing (entering events, not pro) in Amsterdam.

I will bring my race bike over and buy a single speed commuter once I'm there. Or should I buy a steel single speed here and take it over?

So many questions to ask! 

Will also be looking for group rides once there! 

Any advice from experienced expats in this regard would be golden.

Thanks! 

Timeline 2 months and counting! 

I've been living in Rotterdam for 16 months, drop me a PM and I'll try answer any other questions.

Unfortunately I haven't cycled much since moving here besides my daily commute but i'm planning on buying a road bike in the next couple of weeks so I can get back into it.

At the moment I commute on a fixie that I bought online from http://www.beastybike.nl/.

If you are planning on getting something nice I would suggest you try keep your bike inside at night  or invest in a really good U-Lock.

Commuting is a absolute pleasure because of the abundance of bike lanes, I cycle around 15km to and from the office and not one bit of my ride is shared with cars.

I've been living in Rotterdam for 16 months, drop me a PM and I'll try answer any other questions.

Unfortunately I haven't cycled much since moving here besides my daily commute but i'm planning on buying a road bike in the next couple of weeks so I can get back into it.

At the moment I commute on a fixie that I bought online from http://www.beastybike.nl/.

If you are planning on getting something nice I would suggest you try keep your bike inside at night  or invest in a really good U-Lock.

Commuting is a absolute pleasure because of the abundance of bike lanes, I cycle around 15km to and from the office and not one bit of my ride is shared with cars.

Rotterdam is one of the places I hope to visit this year.  Have a friend staying there.

Thanks I will be sure to get in touch closer to the time.

I'm really looking forward to cycle lanes without the fear of a taxi pushing me out the way! 

Stayed there for a while, great place. As here, they have their own problems. Youngsters, typically Nafris, tend to blast their scooters up the cycle lanes. Been taken out once or twice.

As for your commuting bike, you will quickly learn that a crummy 2 speeder lasts longer than a new tourer... especially if you leave it 'locked' at the station.

Stayed there for a while, great place. As here, they have their own problems. Youngsters, typically Nafris, tend to blast their scooters up the cycle lanes. Been taken out once or twice.

As for your commuting bike, you will quickly learn that a crummy 2 speeder lasts longer than a new tourer... especially if you leave it 'locked' at the station.

Wat's hierdie goeters?