Why Do I See So Many Cyclist Without Helmets?

Andrew_Smith

3 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I ALWAYS wear a helmet even when test riding my bike on a flat road etc. It is so stupid that some guys wear a helmet when they are going downhill - my helmet has saved my life many times when I was going fast and overcooked a drop or a jump.

But I guess if they want to win a darwin award and do us a favour by removing themselves from the gene pool, then so be it haha

Mostdef.  Am in the habit of unfailingly donning helmet and gloves even just to the Spar 2 blocks away.  One destroyed helmet and also the 4cm obvious palm scar from a bike fall decades ago guide that choice.  

Also the back of my hands are untouched by sun damage, unlike my mate who never wears gloves and who’s hands are frequently mistaken for a dinosaur's scrotum.

Edited by justinafrika

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Mostdef.  Am in the habit of unfailingly donning helmet and gloves even just to the Spar 2 blocks away.  One destroyed helmet and also the 4cm obvious palm scar from a bike fall decades ago guide that choice.  

Also the back of my hands are untouched by sun damage, unlike my mate who never wears gloves and who’s hands could be mistaken for a dinosaur's scrotum.

Am really hoping you will take us in your confidence and tell us about you career in Jurassic urology...

Presence | Blog | 4 Easy Ways to Streamline The Event Registration Process  for Student Orgs

8 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Also the back of my hands are untouched by sun damage, unlike my mate who never wears gloves and who’s hands are frequently mistaken for a dinosaur's scrotum.

I do understand that riding with gloves is personal preference, but I do think that not enough people wear them. 

They save a lot of skin when you fall, they soak up moisture and provide enhanced grip. What's not to like?

Also people can't say that gloves are too bulky because they make some that are thinner than paper

One thing that is a downside of wearìng gloves is that my arms are tanned and my hands are a much lighter shade... which I get strange looks and questions about

On 8/13/2022 at 7:49 AM, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I do understand that riding with gloves is personal preference, but I do think that not enough people wear them. 

They save a lot of skin when you fall, they soak up moisture and provide enhanced grip. What's not to like?

Also people can't say that gloves are too bulky because they make some that are thinner than paper

One thing that is a downside of wearìng gloves is that my arms are tanned and my hands are a much lighter shade... which I get strange looks and questions about

Also and particularly after many trails were unused during covid and recent good rains there are plenty bushes (some with nasty thorns) on the trails. Long sleeved shirts (I wear anyway due to basal cell etc) and full finger coverage gloves are very worthwhile. Or leave some bark and blood.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bernard Horn said:

Learnt a lesson on todays sunset cruise."WEAR A F...N HELMET" Visited ER  after a little face plant

You ok at least? 

First time I’ve seen this thread, while back my dad was chatting with an older guy, (abt 65-70ish), the guy simply couldn’t understand why everyone was wearing helmets these days…

Typical “Back in my day…” mumbo.

Anyway, eventually we come down, and get going further along the trail, not even 300m away, my dad loses his front wheel on a landing, smacks his head onto the floor and cracks his helmet. 
Fortunately all fine, just slight concussion and broken Garmin mount, but have never been so glad for a helmet in a long time.

I must be doing something wrong…when i had my plastic surgery inducing fall end 2020, my face took most of the impact and my lid didnt even have a scratch on it. Hell, The visor didn't even come off🤣

note to self: learn to fall better.

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

... my lid didnt even have a scratch on it. Hell, The visor didn't even come off🤣

note to self: learn to fall better.

I'll bet you were the chap in varsity days that would be able to jump from the 2nd floor onto the drinks table and not spill his beer 🤣

6 minutes ago, 117 said:

I'll bet you were the chap in varsity days that would be able to jump from the 2nd floor onto the drinks table and not spill his beer 🤣

🤐

but i meant to say was: I need to fall better so a break my fall with the helmet instead of my face? haha

Helmets are cheaper than plastic surgeons. 

Edited by MORNE

In 2016 I discovered the nasty side of concussion after smacking a wooden stile with my face. Like MORNE, I have the scars to act as a discussion point all over my face. I was so concussed I was never offered the service or recommendation of a plastic surgeon. My helmet also incurred no damage other than being covered in blood.

Last September, I was riding around in the street in front of my house popping manuals , sans helmet , and on one of the lifts, I ended up overextending and instinctively put my foot down to prevent the inevitable over rotation and cracking of the skull on the tar when I land on my back. I earned a broken ankle for my efforts.

Helmets. You never know when you need them. But sometimes, there or not, you still get hurt.

What I can say is that concussion is bad. real bad.

27 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

I wonder if car forums have "Why Do I See So Many drivers Without seatbelts?

Or guys that ride Superbikes in Shorts, T Shirt and Slops.

Remember being told a story a few years back (not sure whether it was true or not) of a motorbike mechanic in Kyalami who was told to take a superbike for a test run. When the guy refused because he didn't have his leathers, authority prevailed and he had to go do a test run.  Apparently while on the run, the front brakes seized up and the outcome was not pleasant.

been (proper) cycling 30 years and only needed a helmet 3x. once i wasn't wearing one and earned a trip to ER for stitches in my scalp. The other 2? well, I'm still here and those helmets were nicely broken

In my youth I did a brief stint of BMX racing.

One weekend I had a crash that resulted in concussion.

Being young and invincible, the next weekend I was back racing again. The race went without incident, but after the race I wanted to have a go at a triple that I hadn't been able to clear all day.

Helmet was with my gear so I just went for it.

Huge crash ensued, bad concussion and my short term memory has never been the same.

I never ride without a helmet.

9 hours ago, AkwA said:

First time I’ve seen this thread, while back my dad was chatting with an older guy, (abt 65-70ish), the guy simply couldn’t understand why everyone was wearing helmets these days…

Typical “Back in my day…” mumbo.

I suppose he has difficulty understanding seatbelts and ABS braking too.

In relation to the question proposed in the thread subject line: Because you're seeing so many cyclists without brains.