Little knowledge is dangerous- need engineering company or alike

Pikey

So I decided to change the stem angle on my look and when tightening up the clamps ,I didn't realize this bolt had a reverse thread. Am waiting for a price from local look Agent on Monday,but from what I can see on the net it looks like it's an expensive f@rk up if I have to buy the whole stem kit as per pic attached.

If I can get this piece made by an engineering company ,I could make it work with out having to buy the 2 half money pieces. I have tapped anew thread on them but the reverse thread on the bolt is shot.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to having a new bolt made,it would be much appreciated .

Oh and yes I know I'm a box????

post-51529-0-03922400-1483808837_thumb.jpeg

post-51529-0-18834300-1483808855_thumb.png

I don't know bud. This feels very much like one of those "it might be better to buy a new" situations.

quite possibly mate,but would still like to have one made if I can . If nothing else but for a spare.

The black half moons like parts are 100%. They grip the piece in the stem no problem as soon as you tightened them up. Even if you use a bolt & nut it holds the stem in place perfectly.

But piece of mind is key,when the consequences could be painful ????

You just need to find someone with a reverse tap and die set - not uncommon at all.

but I need a new piece cut to the exact same lenght with same thread exactly etc. Am sure for someone who knows what they doing is apiece of cake. But like mm said I need the gauge steel.

but I need a new piece cut to the exact same lenght with same thread exactly etc. Am sure for someone who knows what they doing is apiece of cake. But like mm said I need the gauge steel.

take it to an engineering/machining shop. Some stainless steel round bar, say 303, 304 stainless steel I'd recommend. Stainless 314 or 316 is overkill. Take the buggered threaded rod along so they can measure up a replacement. The shop can measure the thread and cut new ones accordingly.

Perhaps your bugger up is not as bad as you think, and the threads just need to be chased a bit?

take it to an engineering/machining shop. Some stainless steel round bar, say 303, 304 stainless steel I'd recommend. Stainless 314 or 316 is overkill. Take the buggered threaded rod along so they can measure up a replacement. The shop can measure the thread and cut new ones accordingly.

Perhaps your bugger up is not as bad as you think, and the threads just need to be chased a bit?

something I haven't thought of is the one side has an 4mm Allen key so you can tighten the bolt and clamp every thing together .

I can't use the same piece when I over tightened it coz I was threading it the wrong way,the bolt split which is why I think it won't work ????

Give me a shout next week, 073 827 1702. We can make a new one

brilliant I will do,much appreciated.

I don't know bud. This feels very much like one of those "it might be better to buy a new" situations.

I tend to agree. Part is easy to make, but at R500/hour = minimum charge, I doubt he is getting off easy.

Edit

I type too slow, looks like he is sorted. :thumbup: 

Edited by Dubbin

I tend to agree. Part is easy to make, but at R500/hour = minimum charge, I doubt he is getting off easy.

Edit

I type too slow, looks like he is sorted. :thumbup:

new part if I have to buy the entire kit is about R1900 ????????????????

new part if I have to buy the entire kit is about R1900

Damn

In that case, I recon Flashfozzy could sort you out for a case of beer. :whistling: 

Give me a shout next week, 073 827 1702. We can make a new one

Hi.

Do you do all sorts of light engineering work? I have a few things that need to be done

Hi.

Do you do all sorts of light engineering work? I have a few things that need to be done

"Light engineering" this sounds fun, can I watch?????